Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieFanDC

Re: Trump admin considering citizenship questions to 2020 ce

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
PolyTech wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: Why is a citizenship question relevant?
I really hope this is a bit.
More of a UWS experiment. It’s simple. Multiple people post, “The citizenship is relevant!”.
I ask why they think that. You know, because it’s interesting to hear people’s opinions. It’s also fairly common for ppl to make proclamations and not be able to explain the basis for their proclamation.”Derrrrr...because” is often an accepted argument on UWS. It’s fascinating.
And in this particular case, “Derrrr....because” was the best argument Ross came up with.
You don't think it would be helpful to know how many people living here are legal citizens? I mean wouldn't it be nice to have data like this bounce off of when you see how many people are registered to vote in a given city or state? Do you not think that citizenship is valuable? Why do we need to know how if someone is male or female? Why do we need to know if someone is black, white, Hispanic, etc? Why do we need to know when people are born? Do you think other countries try to track this for a reason? Its called demographics, and knowing the stats on citizenship is just as valuable and informative (if not more so) as all the other stuff they ask you on the Census form.
The answer to all your questions about race, sex, age, etc., is allocation of govt funding, much of which is related to those categories.

Citizenship is valuable. Not sure how valuable the count is with regard to voting. The DOJ hasn’t brought up any issues with enforcing the VRA using the data from the ACS, and they’re the ones who would make that determination.
Would the data be interesting? Yes, for sure. Would it be valuable? Hard to tell.
I think Riverguy has come up with the most valid reason. The other questions are certainly relevant.
UpstateSCHokie

Re: Trump admin considering citizenship questions to 2020 ce

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Later Wednesday, the Justice Department told a federal judge in Maryland that it has been “instructed to examine whether there is a path forward consistent with the Supreme Court’s decision, that would allow us to include the citizenship question on the census.”

Jody Hunt, the assistant attorney general for the Civil Division, told the judge that if they find a viable path, they plan to go to the Supreme Court for “instructions … to simplify and expedite the remaining litigation and provide clarity to the process going forward,” reported CNN.

The judge asked for more information from the DOJ by 2 PM Friday.
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/0 ... ind-a-way/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)