It's now official. New NFL TV deal greater than the last!

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: It's now official. New NFL TV deal greater than the las

Post by ip_law-hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:TV ratings are down 17% the past two years, Ad revenue is down 7%,this years super bowl will be the lowest rated in 20 years - but according to you none of that is true, so we can all sleep better. Thanks.
Well, some of the numbers aren't true but the general theme is correct. I never said anything different. All I said was the NFL brings numbers. The TV deals *could* continue to go up because it is the best way to get the most viewers. The only definitive statement was that they would start paying more per pair of eyeballs. That's exactly what is happening (a hell of a lot more) .

The difference between you and me is that I take all of the same information and come to a different conclusion. That conclusion was just proved right.
I’m happy to acknowledge that you were right, H2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol. That's clearly a lot easier for someone that was also right to say.

This one is pretty clear. I'm a little amazed at the hoops they are jumping through.
Cap'n says its additional content.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Sounds like it's different contract for different content for more games.
Since you haven't watched a football game since Janet Jackson showed a boobie, I can understand that you wouldn't know that there is already a Thursday night game that was carried by CBS and NFL network I believe.
I don't need to watch a game when I can read the article which details the differences.
People who know, know.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:TV ratings are down 17% the past two years, Ad revenue is down 7%,this years super bowl will be the lowest rated in 20 years - but according to you none of that is true, so we can all sleep better. Thanks.
Well, some of the numbers aren't true but the general theme is correct. I never said anything different. All I said was the NFL brings numbers. The TV deals *could* continue to go up because it is the best way to get the most viewers. The only definitive statement was that they would start paying more per pair of eyeballs. That's exactly what is happening (a hell of a lot more) .

The difference between you and me is that I take all of the same information and come to a different conclusion. That conclusion was just proved right.

This one is pretty clear. I'm a little amazed at the hoops they are jumping through.
You're not really this dense are you? Maybe you should take your socks off so you can count past 10.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

You're not really this dense are you? Maybe you should take your socks off so you can count past 10.
They already had these Thursday games and they already licensed digital rights. What’s new?

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Investors don't seem to think this was the greatest idea...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ight-games
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:Investors don't seem to think this was the greatest idea...

We'll see. That's going to knock down the Sunday and Monday contracts. I read that Fox felt comfortable making that deal because they got Bud Light to sponsor the game, so they got some guaranteed income. It's a big risk for sure. They have kneelers and Trump bad mouthing them, lots of head winds.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

TV contract truthers. I like it.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Investors don't seem to think this was the greatest idea...

We'll see. That's going to knock down the Sunday and Monday contracts. I read that Fox felt comfortable making that deal because they got Bud Light to sponsor the game, so they got some guaranteed income. It's a big risk for sure. They have kneelers and Trump bad mouthing them, lots of head winds.
I’d take that bet.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Right or wrong, Fox has been buying up on-air talent and live programming as they try and expand their impact in the sports arena. Essentially they are doing what ESPN did 10 years ago, but broadening by adding streaming to traditional cable. We'll see if they have better financial success with this approach than ESPN did.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

133743Hokie wrote:Right or wrong, Fox has been buying up on-air talent and live programming as they try and expand their impact in the sports arena. Essentially they are doing what ESPN did 10 years ago, but broadening by adding streaming to traditional cable. We'll see if they have better financial success with this approach than ESPN did.
And unlike ESPN, Fox is in the sports business. They don't get involved with politics as much.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

133743Hokie wrote:Right or wrong, Fox has been buying up on-air talent and live programming as they try and expand their impact in the sports arena. Essentially they are doing what ESPN did 10 years ago, but broadening by adding streaming to traditional cable. We'll see if they have better financial success with this approach than ESPN did.
Right or wrong, if eyeballs are less, dollars are not going to be less. The NFL extracted a little more consumer surplus (now making it producer surplus).
133743Hokie wrote:Their collective deal will be less. And the majority of viewers are not part of the Amazon, Facebook, Twitter crowd but traditional cable TV. Again, it's all about the total number of viewers and that is currently down and, even with expanded media options, is likely to continue downward. If the eyeballs are less the dollars are less.
People who know, know.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
Right or wrong, if eyeballs are less, dollars are not going to be less. The NFL extracted a little more consumer surplus (now making it producer surplus).
133743Hokie wrote:Their collective deal will be less. And the majority of viewers are not part of the Amazon, Facebook, Twitter crowd but traditional cable TV. Again, it's all about the total number of viewers and that is currently down and, even with expanded media options, is likely to continue downward. If the eyeballs are less the dollars are less.
Your point? No one knows enough about this deal to pass judgement one way or another.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Your point? No one knows enough about this deal to pass judgement one way or another.
Cap'n did. Until he decided that he didn't.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Really, we know the price/game they paid. We know the price of streaming rights. We know TV ratings have dropped what 20% in 2 years? We could calculate that pretty easily but let's agree on that.

Fox paid more per game, after backing out streaming rights.
Ratings are down 20%.
133743Hokie wrote:Their collective deal will be less.

It was not less, it was more.
133743Hokie wrote:If the eyeballs are less the dollars are less.
The eyeballs are less, the dollars are more.

Please, please, please, please, please, show that you have the ability to look at the information above and emphatically state their your two statements are incorrect. Please think logically. This one doesn't take much critical thinking. If we can't agree that 1+1 = 2, it's not worth the discussion.
People who know, know.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

The NFL acknowledges that ratings, attendance, and ad venue are down sharply from the past several years. TheH2 disagrees with this, and thus posts about it as some "gotcha". I agree with the NFL's own numbers, but that's just me. He is like the guys that ignore EVERY Native American poll published that they are not offended by the Redskins name- Collingsworth and other mentally weak liberals disagree with the hard data, so they still say native Americans are offended. It's funny.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

CFB Apologist wrote:The NFL acknowledges that ratings, attendance, and ad venue are down sharply from the past several years. TheH2 disagrees with this
Where did I disagree with this. I'm providing the ratings information. The reason I was ridiculed is because I acknowledged the ratings decline (indeed posted the ratings) and said networks would continue to pay "out the arse". Furthermore, I never said networks would pay more, just that they would pay more per viewer. I think a few others here actually said the next TV deal would be bigger (DC & IP?). So, you actually don't have an analytical problem, you have a reading comprehension problem. The fact that you can't read doesn't mean that I'm "mentally weak" (see paying more per eyeball) it just means your reading comprehension sucks.
People who know, know.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:The NFL acknowledges that ratings, attendance, and ad venue are down sharply from the past several years. TheH2 disagrees with this
Where did I disagree with this. I'm providing the ratings information. The reason I was ridiculed is because I acknowledged the ratings decline (indeed posted the ratings) and said networks would continue to pay "out the arse". Furthermore, I never said networks would pay more, just that they would pay more per viewer. I think a few others here actually said the next TV deal would be bigger (DC & IP?). So, you actually don't have an analytical problem, you have a reading comprehension problem. The fact that you can't read doesn't mean that I'm "mentally weak" (see paying more per eyeball) it just means your reading comprehension sucks.
I said it would be bigger, and the networks would overpay. When the sunday contracts are renewed, it will be the largest ever.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
I said it would be bigger, and the networks would overpay. When the sunday contracts are renewed, it will be the largest ever.
Yeah, thought it was you - "idiot". I didn't go that far. I just knew the networks would overpay - winner's curse.
People who know, know.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
?? We know as much about this as we know about past deals. Making a stand on that being necessary is silly.

What we do know is that NBC and CBS bid lower than what they previously paid for the rights.
And we know that Fox outbid them. Any reasonable person should agree that the most valuable piece of the deal, by far, is the TV rights to TNF. Reading through some of the analyses of the contract, it seems that the TV part is about $550M of the deal, or $50M per game. If you adjust for inflation, that's just about what the CBS/NBC contracts were. So, not significantly different monetarily. But, Fox does get all 11 games, not having to split them like NBC and CBS. And they get expanded digital rights to show on mobile devices. And most people think that Fox paid/overpaid that much b/c they need to expand their viewership base, and it's better than their current offerings. Currently they show Gotham, which is in a steep decline, and Orville (have no idea what that is).

So, what might make sense for Fox, maybe doesn't make sense for NBC and CBS.
Finally, no matter how you look at it, or what else may be included, the Fox bid is not a big rev hit for the NFL. It's at least on par.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Yeah, thought it was you - "idiot". I didn't go that far. I just knew the networks would overpay - winner's curse.
We should be considering CBS or FOX puts. CBS seems like a loser, though looking it at, it has performed better than I would have expected over the past 3 years or so.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/s ... ccounts-mw
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

TheH2 wrote:
I can read just fine. Including your first sentence here. So what is your point? this bullshit started with "NFL ratings are down" and you IP and Nolan are doing everything you can to play obtuse on said topic. You are the one with a comprehension problem.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I'm still watching if it's a game I'm interested in...contracts be damned. If the network(s) want to spend it, then more power to them.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

CFB Apologist wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
I can read just fine. Including your first sentence here. So what is your point? this bullshit started with "NFL ratings are down" and you IP and Nolan are doing everything you can to play obtuse on said topic. You are the one with a comprehension problem.
Yet you fail to provide a link backing your assertion. You can call it bullshit but I'm providing direct quotes from posters that are wrong. Please find a post that backs your assertion. Otherwise it's clearly a reading comprehension issue.
People who know, know.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
We should be considering CBS or FOX puts. CBS seems like a loser, though looking it at, it has performed better than I would have expected over the past 3 years or so.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/s ... ccounts-mw
Nice contrarian idea. I've not yet traded options. And I don't have the balls (or the need really) to short.
People who know, know.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Really, we know the price/game they paid. We know the price of streaming rights. We know TV ratings have dropped what 20% in 2 years? We could calculate that pretty easily but let's agree on that.

Fox paid more per game, after backing out streaming rights.
Ratings are down 20%.
133743Hokie wrote:Their collective deal will be less.

It was not less, it was more.
133743Hokie wrote:If the eyeballs are less the dollars are less.
The eyeballs are less, the dollars are more.

Please, please, please, please, please, show that you have the ability to look at the information above and emphatically state their your two statements are incorrect. Please think logically. This one doesn't take much critical thinking. If we can't agree that 1+1 = 2, it's not worth the discussion.
I know you're desperately fighting this battle with some on here, but you need to recognize you dont have all the data -- no one does. So no, we dont' know what the cost of streaming rights, or even what that entails relative to prior contracts. You don't know how much, if any, of the payment is ratings driven. Does it involve a pregame and postgame show? In short you don't know the details about this contract to pass the definitive judgement you're adamant is correct.

As I mentioned before, Fox is trying to expand so they're throwing money at properties.

Additionally, this is for a couple of Thursday night games per year. I suggest you hold off on your judgement as to whether the NFL is going to suffer financially until a major contract for Sunday games is re-negotiated. I know you're desperate to rub some noses in this. You used to be a reasonable, even keeled poster on here. With this thread topic you appear to quickly be shifting into dick category. Resist!