Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Rest in peace, Billy Graham

Post by BigDave »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/billy ... smsnnews11

(Reuters) - U.S. evangelist Billy Graham, who counseled presidents and preached to millions across the world from his native North Carolina to communist North Korea during his 70 years on the pulpit, died on Wednesday at the age of 99, a spokesman said.
Graham died at 8 a.m. EST at his home in Montreat, North Carolina, according to Jeremy Blume, a spokesman for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.
With his steely features and piercing blue eyes, Graham was a powerful figure when he preached in his prime, roaming the stage and hoisting a Bible as he declared Jesus Christ to be the only solution to humanity's problems.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
RiverguyVT

Re: Rest in peace, Billy Graham

Post by RiverguyVT »

He basically created the term "televangelist"...and... he was unlike any other. And I mean that in a good way.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
miles

Post by miles »

He could have been very rich. Instead, he lived modestly, simply.
He preached personal salvation. He did not judge. He did not preach judgement of others.
He was sought by and knew all the major politicians, leaders and important people of the era; yet he
was not political and did not preach politics.

I never met him. I did know, slightly, his brother, Melvin, a local land owner and farmer who made some big money on a couple of land deals. Melvin also had the gift of speech and was a lay preacher. I heard him preach a few times at a couple of churches that friends and neighbors attended. His "sermons" were extemporaneous; guided by the Holy Spirit (in his words). He carried around an old very worn Bible that was dog-eared, filled with scribbles, underlined passages and magic marker highlighting. When invited to speak, he would open this Bible and read some scripture and then begin to riff on whatever scripture he was reading. He would digress and preach for several minutes in whatever direction the Holy Spirit led him. It was always inspiring.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

He was a very fine man that I respected a whole lot.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

BigDave wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/billy ... smsnnews11

(Reuters) - U.S. evangelist Billy Graham, who counseled presidents and preached to millions across the world from his native North Carolina to communist North Korea during his 70 years on the pulpit, died on Wednesday at the age of 99, a spokesman said.
Graham died at 8 a.m. EST at his home in Montreat, North Carolina, according to Jeremy Blume, a spokesman for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.
With his steely features and piercing blue eyes, Graham was a powerful figure when he preached in his prime, roaming the stage and hoisting a Bible as he declared Jesus Christ to be the only solution to humanity's problems.
Sad day, but he lived a good life and helped a lot of people.