Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Profile of a Fast Food Striker.....

Post by USN_Hokie »

From the AP:
As it stands, fast-food workers say they can't live on what they're paid.

Shaniqua Davis, 20, lives in the Bronx with her boyfriend, who is unemployed, and their 1-year-old daughter. Davis has worked at a McDonald's a few blocks from her apartment for the past three months, earning $7.25 an hour. Her schedule varies, but she never gets close to 40 hours a week. "Forty? Never. They refuse to let you get to that (many) hours."

Her weekly paycheck is $150 or much lower. "One of my paychecks, I only got $71 on there. So I wasn't able to do much with that. My daughter needs stuff, I need to get stuff for my apartment," said Davis, who plans to take part in the strike Thursday.

She pays the rent with public assistance but struggles to afford food, diapers, subway and taxi fares, cable TV and other expenses with her paycheck.

"It's really hard," she said. "If I didn't have public assistance to help me out, I think I would have been out on the street already with the money I make at McDonald's."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/2 ... 32192.html
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Profile of a Fast Food Striker.....

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:From the AP:

Shaniqua Davis, 20, lives in the Bronx with her boyfriend, who is unemployed, and their 1-year-old daughter. Davis has worked at a McDonald's a few blocks from her apartment for the past three months, earning $7.25 an hour. Her schedule varies, but she never gets close to 40 hours a week. "Forty? Never. They refuse to let you get to that (many) hours."

Her weekly paycheck is $150 or much lower. "One of my paychecks, I only got $71 on there. So I wasn't able to do much with that. My daughter needs stuff, I need to get stuff for my apartment," said Davis, who plans to take part in the strike Thursday.

She pays the rent with public assistance but struggles to afford food, diapers, subway and taxi fares, cable TV and other expenses with her paycheck.

"It's really hard," she said. "If I didn't have public assistance to help me out, I think I would have been out on the street already with the money I make at McDonald's."

I bet she has an iPhone with a data plan too.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

It's almost as if....people are poor because they make bad choices.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

It's almost as if....people are poor because they make bad choices.

Na, it's the man keeping them down!

I'm not sure if it's stupidity or upbringing, but did it occur to her to get a job somewhere else? And what about the boyfriend? Any bets if he could pass a drug or background test?

I'm all for redemption and second chances, but at the same time the mistakes kids make now are critical blows to their future. I'm guessing she was too smart for school and doubt she has a diploma. So what do we do with people like this? She's doesn't have her act together enough to find a decent job. She's out making babies with other slackers. She's buying cable TV instead of stuff for her baby. She's the wrecking ball of her own life. Since we're already paying her rent, buying her food, and giving her some cash which she's spending foolishly, why would we give her more? Money isn't her problem, lack of sense is.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Let's say the minimum wage is raised to $15. That will simply mean that we'll be ordering from touch pads in a few years, and Shaniqua won't likely make the cut of the workers they keep.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:

Let's say the minimum wage is raised to $15. That will simply mean that we'll be ordering from touch pads in a few years, and Shaniqua won't likely make the cut of the workers they keep.
if you gave her $15, she would have cable ,XBox, a new car, and still need diaper and formula money.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

She sure won't get more hours than she is getting now.
nolanvt wrote:Let's say the minimum wage is raised to $15. That will simply mean that we'll be ordering from touch pads in a few years, and Shaniqua won't likely make the cut of the workers they keep.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:

... and her boyfriend still wouldn't have a job.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

But Joe the union machinist would be making 120k a year instead of 110. And that's what minimum wage is really about, it raises the index unions base their pay on.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Florida Hokie wrote:She sure won't get more hours than she is getting now.
nolanvt wrote:Let's say the minimum wage is raised to $15. That will simply mean that we'll be ordering from touch pads in a few years, and Shaniqua won't likely make the cut of the workers they keep.
Yeah. I get that they're pissed off and everything, but be careful what you wish for. The cashier at a McDonald's is a fungible commodity. I'm sure that the touch pad ordering systems are already being toyed with, but a significantly higher minimum wage will only accelerate those efforts. While those who have a reasonable amount of intelligence and street sense could go to work for those companies and work in a sales capacity, theoretically, the Shaniquas of the world are going to be even worse off.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

But Joe the union machinist would be making 120k a year instead of 110. And that's what minimum wage is really about, it raises the index unions base their pay on.
And historically, it was racism. The white unions demanded minimum wages so that they wouldn't be undercut by cheap Chinese laborers working the railroad lines. So if you have to pay $X for a worker, you'd want one that can speak English and be as productive as the larger workers. The Chinese undercut them on price to compensate for said deficiencies in productivity and communications. Plus whites at that time thought of Asians as mongoloids, so they hard time getting any decent wage.