Hollywood realizes massive market value decline of more than $500 billion in 2022: report

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: Hollywood realizes massive market value decline of more than $500 billion in 2022: report

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:32 pm
HokieJoe wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:22 pm Raycesss!

https://www.outkick.com/the-marvels-dir ... failures/
‘The Marvels’ Director Blames ‘Virulent And Violent And Racist And Sexist And Homophobic’ Americans For Film’s Failures

by Bobby Burack November 17, 2023, 2:04 pm
updated November 18, 2023, 7:33 pm

The latest film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), The Marvels, opened to a weekend box office of just $47 million, the lowest in franchise history.

Yet outlets like The Associated Press called the film a success anyway, by virtue of being the first MCU release directed by a black woman.

The director, Nia DaCosta, seems to agree.

This week, she blamed the lack of interest in the film and its subsequent criticism on the bigotry of Marvel fans.

“There are pockets that are really virulent and violent and racist — and sexist and homophobic and all those awful things,” she told Variety’s Angelique Jackson when asked about the film going “woke.”

“And I choose the side of the light. That’s the part of fandom I’m most attracted to.”

Virulent, violent, racist, sexist and homophobic, huh?

What a combination, one MSNBC is almost certainly to adopt shortly.
There’s a trend

Disney films no longer capture the pulse of moviegoers. Before The Marvels, the studio’s last eight films combined for more than $900 million in losses.

The films, most of which are designed for children, have recently included same-sex kissing and non-binary characters.

The viewers — including parents — have rebelled against the inclusion of such messaging. Obviously.

Yet instead of acknowledging the failures of espousing political values that run afoul of the customer base, Disney actors and directors have chosen to chastise their customers.

Or former customers, that is.

DaCosta echoed the same sentiment that Mark Ruffalo did last year when he attributed racism and sexism to the failures of “She-Hulk: Attorney at Law,” a Disney+ series in which he co-lead.

It’s your fault Disney is failing, says Ruffalo.

The lack of interest in The Marvels is quite self-explanatory.

First, Disney promoted the film by celebrating that it chose a black female director and three female leads — a white woman, a black woman, and a Pakistani woman.

Those are not exactly causes for most Americans to buy a movie ticket. Moviegoers don’t care about the skin color of the director. Rather, they care about the synopsis of the film.

And the synopsis wasn’t all that interesting either:

“Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel, has reclaimed her identity from the tyrannical Kree and taken revenge on the Supreme Intelligence. However, unintended consequences see her shouldering the burden of a destabilized universe. When her duties send her to an anomalous wormhole linked to a Kree revolutionary, her powers become entangled with two other superheroes to form the Marvels.”

No wonder the film set an all-time MCU low.

OutKick’s Ian Miller put the trajectory of the franchise into perspective his week:

“For more than a decade, Marvel was essentially untouchable. Their Cinematic Universe plan was flawlessly executed, with interlocking storylines weaving together recognizable, beloved characters. The Avengers series brought those storylines together to a generally satisfying conclusion.

“But after completing those projects, Marvels lost much of what made it successful. The laser focus on key characters was abandoned in favor of checking diversity, equity and inclusion boxes. Charismatic performers like Robert Downey Jr. were replaced with Brie Larson’s Captain Marvel. And while the first Captain Marvel film was a box office success, reviews for Larson’s performance were mixed, to say the least.

Despite the generally poor reception, Disney committed significantly more money to the sequel, while handing the reins over to an inexperienced director, Nia DaCosta. Giving $270 million to DaCosta, coming off a film festival success and a poorly rated horror film, was, as many predicted, a very bad idea.”

Then again, calling fans “virulent and violent and racist — and sexist and homophobic” probably is a better excuse.
Of course. This is the best take I’ve seen in a while……

Gore is 100% correct. 'Girls' have never been the natural demographic for either franchise.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: Hollywood realizes massive market value decline of more than $500 billion in 2022: report

Post by HokieHam »

And another…….

"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:19 pm And another…….

Iger's parlor tricks will only last so long in the face of so many losses. Buh, buh it's the economy... It's super hero fatigue...

Meanwhile, the market is saying: No Bob, it's your hackneyed stories, sh!t casting and hollow diversity themes. Alienating your core demographic is bad business 100% of the time.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Happy birthday, Adam Smith: The invisible hand just slapped Disney
https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/43 ... ed-disney/
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieHam wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:40 pm
Womp womp
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:40 pm
And in a real POW! BIFF! BAM! moment, Disney actually paid people to write what has been evident for hundreds of years:
In its annual SEC report, Disney acknowledges that “we face risks relating to misalignment with public and consumer tastes and preferences for entertainment, travel and consumer products.” In an implied nod to Smith, the company observes that “the success of our businesses depends on our ability to consistently create compelling content,” and that Generally, our revenues and profitability are adversely impacted when our entertainment offerings and products, as well as our methods to make our offerings and products available to consumers, do not achieve sufficient consumer acceptance.

Further, consumers’ perceptions of our position on matters of public interest, including our efforts to achieve certain of our environmental and social goals, often differ widely and present risks to our reputation and brands.
Well, no sh!t Batman. Genius level stuff there, guys. Truly.

Worry not, woke warriors, I'm sure the Maoist Recepticons are concocting some thermonuclear lies about me too or lgbtbbq discrimination to derail this unusual moment of financial clarity for the house of mouse.

Which you will totally believe.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieJoe wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:40 pm
Bwahahaha. I can’t wait to find the final damage. They’ve probably lost close to a $Billion at the box office this year.

https://insidethemagic.net/2023/12/dis ... sh-jh1mmb/

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Good. Don’t settle. Take it to court and expose these AHoles………

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

HokieHam wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:11 pm Good. Don’t settle. Take it to court and expose these AHoles………
👍👍
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:11 pm Good. Don’t settle. Take it to court and expose these AHoles………

Yep. I think Musk actually meant it when he said FU to Iger.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Get woke, go broke.

This could go in the “No other race thread”, which 8🤡 claimed was not a thing…..

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieJoe wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:51 pm
fatman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:37 pm
HvilleHokie wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:28 pm
fatman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:57 pm
HvilleHokie wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:08 pm
RiverguyVT wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:15 pm White man baaaad and incompetent.... woman goooodd......

Somma y'all don't see it, which isn't surprising at all given world views. The brainwash pablum tastes good to some; to others, we want the meat of free thought.
What in the world? You are using Indiana jones.. one of the iconic alpha white male characters in the history of cinema.. as an example of white man bad?

Youre even further off base than normal
I don’t think any of these guys have seen Indiana Jones. I think they are assuming that Harrison ford sharing the screen with a female accomplice is cause for yet another boycott .

These guys probably have some solid points to be made about other movies, but it is bewildering what has triggered them about this film.
It’s even more bizarre because every Indiana jones has had a female accomplice.
Yeah. I’m drawing a blank. Wonder what it is that is triggering them?

[tweet] https://twitter.com/johnfugelsang/statu ... ZpFWTn4OCQ[/tweet]

Poor little fatman. You don't like Indiana Jones 5? You must be a nazi!!!
Those two are dopes…..and apparently, a lot of people are Nazis!

The film lost $100M. KK must have a photo of Iger and some goats or something…..she’s ruined all of the LucasFilm franchises.

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:56 pm
HokieJoe wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:51 pm
fatman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:37 pm
HvilleHokie wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:28 pm
fatman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:57 pm
HvilleHokie wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:08 pm

What in the world? You are using Indiana jones.. one of the iconic alpha white male characters in the history of cinema.. as an example of white man bad?

Youre even further off base than normal
I don’t think any of these guys have seen Indiana Jones. I think they are assuming that Harrison ford sharing the screen with a female accomplice is cause for yet another boycott .

These guys probably have some solid points to be made about other movies, but it is bewildering what has triggered them about this film.
It’s even more bizarre because every Indiana jones has had a female accomplice.
Yeah. I’m drawing a blank. Wonder what it is that is triggering them?

[tweet] https://twitter.com/johnfugelsang/statu ... ZpFWTn4OCQ[/tweet]

Poor little fatman. You don't like Indiana Jones 5? You must be a nazi!!!
Those two are dopes…..and apparently, a lot of people are Nazis!

The film lost $100M. KK must have a photo of Iger and some goats or something…..she’s ruined all of the LucasFilm franchises.

Weinstein's former assistant, Leslye Headland, is bound to have lots of dirt as well.

Gurl powah