Environmental, Social, Governing. ESG

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
dunwithtrump

Environmental, Social, Governing. ESG

Post by dunwithtrump »

Here's an ESG bank that will give you 3% interest on your savings if you just spend $1,000 a month on a debit card. I've been with them for a year and I earn 5% up to $10,000 since that's what it was when I joined. Oh, and name the amount of your monthly fees, even if it's zero. They plant trees, invest only in green technologies, and much more

But some here wouldn't DEIGN to patronize a do-goody, progressive, bank. You'll leave cash on the table if it means doing the right thing.

Aspiration: Do good and do well.

https://www.aspiration.com/
https://my.aspiration.com/auth/login/
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: Environmental, Social, Governing. ESG

Post by HokieHam »

NPC says ESG good! :lol:
Attachments
17D6D59A-6604-46B4-85BD-CB18C7F90ADC.jpeg
17D6D59A-6604-46B4-85BD-CB18C7F90ADC.jpeg (308.31 KiB) Viewed 12707 times
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
fatman

Post by fatman »

It’s a bunch of BS.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/qai/2022/0 ... index/amp/

Exxon is ESG, but Tesla is not? Insanity.
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

fatman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:45 pm It’s a bunch of BS.

My click-baity title using ESG aside, I sincerely believe right wingers will not invest their liquid savings in an unquestionably ESG bank even though they'll leave money on the table by not doing so. I'm not here to argue what bank has the highest saving rates etc., My point is that conservatives are easily convinced to vote against their own best interests and this bank deal open to all, is a really great way to make them feel that cognitive dissonance. If they're getting 1% on their corporate money market accounts, this one will tug a bit harder.
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

dunwithtrump wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:54 pm Here's an ESG bank that will give you 3% interest on your savings if you just spend $1,000 a month on a debit card. I've been with them for a year and I earn 5% up to $10,000 since that's what it was when I joined. Oh, and name the amount of your monthly fees, even if it's zero. They plant trees, invest only in green technologies, and much more

But some here wouldn't DEIGN to patronize a do-goody, progressive, bank. You'll leave cash on the table if it means doing the right thing.

If they can beat all the others, I’ll put money in them.

But right now, I can make more elsewhere.

Heck, in 3 years on the lake lot I bought and just sold, i had a 93% return after paying capital gains (30% return per year).
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

...and we're stupid and brainwashed....
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:59 pm ...and we're stupid and brainwashed....
Yup…….totally unaware.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

..although, I do appreciate the market argument for this stuff.
Salute the Marines
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

https://www.reuters.com/business/sustai ... 023-01-12/
Vanguard Group's decision last month to quit a key climate change coalition underscores how the retail investors who dominate its client base focus less on environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) priorities than institutional investors.

Vanguard said last month it would drop out of the Net Zero Asset Managers (NZAM) initiative, whose members commit to making their investment portfolios emission-neutral by 2050. It said 80% of its close to $8 trillion in assets are in its index funds, which primarily attract retail investors.

These funds generally do not have discretion to include or exclude stocks beyond a pre-set mandate, and most do not account for carbon emissions.

Vanguard did not explain what changed since 2021, when it joined NZAM, but said it was responding to a desire of its clients to provide "clarity" and make its independence clear.

Vanguard's biggest competitors, BlackRock Inc (BLK.N) and State Street Corp's (STT.N) asset-management arm, rely more on institutional investors including pension funds and foundations. Both BlackRock and State Street have stuck with NZAM.
Hopefully, lawsuits will eventually take care of the rest.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:59 pm ...and we're stupid and brainwashed....
As I said, I'm getting 5% for being an OG for over a year. This isn't my portfolio, the point is ESG - which you will be convinced to hate because the wealthy oil companies are paying fauxnews et Al to convince you to hate it is competitive and has been for a while.

You are a programmed useful idiot for the wealthy class.
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

HokieJoe wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:32 am Hopefully, lawsuits will eventually take care of the rest.
So you want to restrict what people can invest their own money in based upon *YOUR* political preferences. How capitalist of you.

Just like the Public Option debate during the ACA debate. The right whined and whined how
"It's not fair, the government won't take profits. How can the insurance companies possibly compete!"

Yeah, that's kinda the point.

Unfortunately, Obama is only slightly left of the corporate republican party and caved in 2.09 seconds flat on the public option.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieJoe wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:32 am https://www.reuters.com/business/sustai ... 023-01-12/
Vanguard Group's decision last month to quit a key climate change coalition underscores how the retail investors who dominate its client base focus less on environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) priorities than institutional investors.

Vanguard said last month it would drop out of the Net Zero Asset Managers (NZAM) initiative, whose members commit to making their investment portfolios emission-neutral by 2050. It said 80% of its close to $8 trillion in assets are in its index funds, which primarily attract retail investors.

These funds generally do not have discretion to include or exclude stocks beyond a pre-set mandate, and most do not account for carbon emissions.

Vanguard did not explain what changed since 2021, when it joined NZAM, but said it was responding to a desire of its clients to provide "clarity" and make its independence clear.

Vanguard's biggest competitors, BlackRock Inc (BLK.N) and State Street Corp's (STT.N) asset-management arm, rely more on institutional investors including pension funds and foundations. Both BlackRock and State Street have stuck with NZAM.
Yup.
Attachments
840DEA3C-9303-4FED-860E-E7B380FC6B1A.jpeg
840DEA3C-9303-4FED-860E-E7B380FC6B1A.jpeg (473.41 KiB) Viewed 12635 times

Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

dunwithtrump wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:52 am
HokieJoe wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:32 am Hopefully, lawsuits will eventually take care of the rest.
So you want to restrict what people can invest their own money in based upon *YOUR* political preferences. How capitalist of you.

Just like the Public Option debate during the ACA debate. The right whined and whined how
"It's not fair, the government won't take profits. How can the insurance companies possibly compete!"

Unfortunately, Obama is only slightly left of the corporate republican party and caved in 2.09 seconds flat on the public option.
I think you have it backwards. It's fine to have ESG friendly funds, and allow investors to select them if they want that return profile. What's not fine is substituting government ESG ideology for fiduciary responsibility.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

HokieHam wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:50 pm
HokieJoe wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:32 am https://www.reuters.com/business/sustai ... 023-01-12/

Yup.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

hokie80 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:36 pm
HokieHam wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:50 pm

Yup.
Attachments
FDF9213E-9D80-4C23-B341-330773E859AD.jpeg
FDF9213E-9D80-4C23-B341-330773E859AD.jpeg (94.65 KiB) Viewed 12623 times
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:30 pm

I think you have it backwards. It's fine to have ESG friendly funds, and allow investors to select them if they want that return profile. What's not fine is substituting government ESG ideology for fiduciary responsibility.
BOOM!
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

If you want an exclusive environmentally focused investment, go for it. But that isn't what has been happening.

https://strive.com/strive-asset-managem ... ng-giants/

Break Up the ESG Investing Giants

BlackRock, Vanguard and State Street effectively control each other—and their market competitors. The Clayton Act was made for situations like this.

Dan Morenoff, August 31, 2022

Three of the largest investment shops in the U.S.—BlackRock, Vanguard and State Street—have long used their dominance in passive-investment funds to force corporations to comply with their preferred set of environmental, social and governance policies. Their reign, however, may be nearing its rightful end, as America’s law enforcers are waking up to the threats the Big Three pose to investors and the economy.

In an Aug. 4 letter to BlackRock CEO Larry Fink, 19 state attorneys general questioned how the company’s ESG advocacy squares with its fiduciary duties to investors. The attorneys general specifically raised whether BlackRock’s “coordinated conduct with other financial institutions”—i.e., the two other investing giants—to demonetize the oil-and-gas industry raises potential antitrust issues.

The attorneys general are digging into an important matter, but there is a much more worrying question they must explore: Why are the Big Three pursuing these policies in lockstep? Why have no institutions in the financial-services industry except one—the recently launched Strive Asset Management—opted to place the investor first, by giving priority to profit over social issues? The seeming answer raises concerns far beyond the Big Three’s anti-oil-and-gas collusion.

Through their management of passive investments, the Big Three collectively hold the largest voting blocs for nearly the entire S&P 500. Among them, they control a predominant share of the exchange-traded fund, or ETF, market, and of most participants in nearly every other market. Two of the three (BlackRock and State Street) are publicly traded companies, and so their officers disclose under oath in regular federal filings their institutional shareholders. In this paperwork, they regularly tell us not only what they own, but who owns them.

The answer reads like a punch line: The Big Three own each other and themselves.
Oil and gas, firearm manufacturer's, pushing DEI initiatives, etc. The objective of a company is to maximize shareholder's profits- not push social policy.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:30 pm I think you have it backwards. It's fine to have ESG friendly funds, and allow investors to select them if they want that return profile. What's not fine is substituting government ESG ideology for fiduciary responsibility.
Actually, no I don't. You have been spun with misinformation from the right.
The government has said the rule is valid because it still requires retirement plans to put financial considerations ahead of ESG factors
A 2020 regulation had required retirement plans to consider only financial factors in selecting investments. The new rule sets guidelines for ESG investing, including requiring that socially conscious investments are still financially sound.
https://www.reuters.com/legal/can-repub ... y%20sound.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

dunwithtrump wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:54 pm Here's an ESG bank that will give you 3% interest on your savings if you just spend $1,000 a month on a debit card. I've been with them for a year and I earn 5% up to $10,000 since that's what it was when I joined. Oh, and name the amount of your monthly fees, even if it's zero. They plant trees, invest only in green technologies, and much more

This, early in a week where a progressive bank is taken over, and banks with prog objectives get hammered... all due to treasury rates driven by an administration's progressive ideologies. :lol:

LOL

So glad Recip is back.

Salute the Marines
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

fatman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:45 pm It’s a bunch of BS.

Did you know you can still invest in cleantech using "Q.ai's CleanTech Kit"?
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:36 pm

This, early in a week where a progressive bank is taken over, and banks with prog objectives get hammered... all due to treasury rates driven by an administration's progressive ideologies. :lol:

LOL

So glad Recip is back.

:lol:

dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

HokieHam wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:04 pm
Man you tools really are stupid. This was a bank where venture capital was parked and they failed because they were greedy and stupid, not because they invested in ESG. In fact no reports on this bank's demise ever even mention ESG.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/silicon ... 43348.html

Get used to it. ESG is the future of investing and Big Oil is destined to become a mere chemical raw material/commodity industry as we transition to electricity (if MAGA would just sit down and STFU).
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

dunwithtrump wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:30 pm
HokieHam wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:04 pm
Man you tools really are stupid. This was a bank where venture capital was parked and they failed because they were greedy and stupid, not because they invested in ESG. In fact no reports on this bank's demise ever even mention ESG.

Get used to it. ESG is the future of investing and Big Oil is destined to become a mere chemical raw material/commodity industry as we transition to electricity (if MAGA would just sit down and STFU).
“Greed” (that dastardly leftist dog whistle word) had zero to do with this.

Oh. And oil already IS a chemical raw material/commodity.
Attachments
4DF0F46C-7FC9-4AFE-BBD4-B520A1D85318.jpeg
4DF0F46C-7FC9-4AFE-BBD4-B520A1D85318.jpeg (125.85 KiB) Viewed 12567 times
Salute the Marines
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:31 pm
dunwithtrump wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:30 pm

“Greed” (that dastardly leftist dog whistle word) had zero to do with this.
Once again, I brought the receipts and you brought a naked assertion.