Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

Re: Environmental, Social, Governing. ESG

Post by RiverguyVT »

dunwithtrump wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:45 pm
RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:31 pm
dunwithtrump wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:30 pm
Man you tools really are stupid. This was a bank where venture capital was parked and they failed because they were greedy and stupid, not because they invested in ESG. In fact no reports on this bank's demise ever even mention ESG.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/silicon ... 43348.html

Get used to it. ESG is the future of investing and Big Oil is destined to become a mere chemical raw material/commodity industry as we transition to electricity (if MAGA would just sit down and STFU).
“Greed” (that dastardly leftist dog whistle word) had zero to do with this.
Once again, I brought the receipts and you brought a naked assertion.
What receipts?
It was a poorly managed bank whose focus was PC-diVeRsiTy-ESG rather than diversity of investments and Treasury rates. Their reserve strategy was just stupid.

You brought a People Magazine style article from Yahoo's "Lifestyle" section.

Greed. LOL
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:45 pm
Man you tools really are stupid. This was a bank where venture capital was parked and they failed because they were greedy and stupid, not because they invested in ESG. In fact no reports on this bank's demise ever even mention ESG.

Get used to it. ESG is the future of investing and Big Oil is destined to become a mere chemical raw material/commodity industry as we transition to electricity (if MAGA would just sit down and STFU).
What receipts?
It was a poorly managed bank whose focus was PC-diVeRsiTy-ESG rather than diversity of investments and Treasury rates. Their reserve strategy was just stupid.

Greed. LOL
I’ll let the NPC feel good about investing in banks that are woke/DIE and ESG while I make investments in companies that focus on business.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Salute the Marines
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:26 pm
RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:45 pm

What receipts?

Greed. LOL
I’ll let the NPC feel good about investing in banks that are woke/DIE and ESG while I make investments in companies that focus on business.

ESG investment portfolios should have much more rigorous disclosure requirements so the people who invest in them know what they're getting into financially. Lower returns.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Brainwashed Dumbasses invest in this scam…..
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieHam wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:21 pm Brainwashed Dumbasses invest in this scam…..
Good stuff
Salute the Marines
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:21 pm Brainwashed Dumbasses invest in this scam…..

Now do it here.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

HokieJoe wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:42 am
ESG investment portfolios should have much more rigorous disclosure requirements so the people who invest in them know what they're getting into financially. Lower returns.
Are you stupid or a liar? Which is it? It's one or the other.
Is ESG riskier than non-ESG approaches? Our research has found otherwise: ESG has tended to perform very similarly and with very similar levels of risk to non-ESG approaches.
More receipts:
https://www.schwab.com/learn/story/how- ... -performed
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

dunwithtrump wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:18 pm
HokieJoe wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:42 am
Are you stupid or a liar? Which is it? It's one or the other.
Is ESG riskier than non-ESG approaches? Our research has found otherwise: ESG has tended to perform very similarly and with very similar levels of risk to non-ESG approaches.
More receipts:
https://www.schwab.com/learn/story/how- ... -performed

:lol:

What a load of sh!t.
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

HokieJoe wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:33 pm
What a load of sh!t.
Really? Either show your work or you're a useless liar.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

dunwithtrump wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:43 pm
What a load of sh!t.

Ham just posted some receipts from Australia, dumbo. More will follow IMO. Now do that worthless Schwab assessment minus government subsidies for green eNeRgY.

ESG has no place on balance sheets if you are concerned with maximizing profit for shareholders. If you want to invest in an ESG fund have it, Sport; but not with my money.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieJoe wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 pm
What a load of sh!t.

Ham just posted some receipts from Australia, dumbo. More will follow IMO. Now do that worthless Schwab assessment minus government subsidies for green eNeRgY.

ESG has no place on balance sheets if you are concerned with maximizing profit for shareholders. If you want to invest in an ESG fund have it, Sport; but not with my money.
SVB was up to their ears in ESG. :lol: :lol: And just days before their collapse were getting strong "Buy" recommends from a source (CNN) many here ardently rely upon. :idea:
Salute the Marines
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:50 pm
What a load of sh!t.

SVB was up to their ears in ESG. :lol: :lol: And just days before their collapse were getting strong "Buy" recommends from a source (CNN) many here ardently rely upon. :idea:
Jim Cramer said it was a buy recently as well……😂😂😂😂

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieHam wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:00 am
What a load of sh!t.

That's who I was talking about. Is he not CNN? (my bad)
Salute the Marines
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:04 am
What a load of sh!t.

CNBC

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieHam wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:11 am
RiverguyVT wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:04 am

CNBC
Even better. They were being cited here as experts on SVB failing due to greed if I'm not mistaken. And I may be.
Salute the Marines
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

What a load of sh!t.

Jim Cramer is a lying POS. He's an embarrassment.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Salute the Marines
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

LOL! A Heritage Foundation Op-Ed in the WSJ? No, there's no bias there.
How are ESG funds performing?
Based on data from Morningstar Direct, the top 10 U.S. equity mutual funds in Barron's annual ESG survey outperformed the S&P 500 index, returning an average negative 13.8% against a loss of 18.1% for the index.
You can't argue for a counterfactual here unless you flat out lie, or fall for the grifting liars on the right.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/top-es ... 1674670941
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

Another thought...if you feel so strongly against ESG funds, then you're free to not invest in them.

But why your loud, aggressive objections and the similarly developing restrictive legislation in the House? Could it be that the Big Industry titans sense that the world is shifting under their feet and they're scared of change for the better? Could it be the right wing grifters have flashed the metaphorical bat signal on ceiling of the Truman Show right wing bubble universe and people like you dutifully activate your outrage and start regurgitating their talking points like the beta males you are. Could it be you're a useful idiot?
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieJoe wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:10 pm

Now do it here.
I’m glad to let NPC dupes invest their money to believe they are doing something. Bunch of handwringing pussies.
An Inconvenient Truth About ESG Investing
Researchers at Columbia University and London School of Economics compared the ESG record of U.S. companies in 147 ESG fund portfolios and that of U.S. companies in 2,428 non-ESG portfolios. They found that the companies in the ESG portfolios had worse compliance record for both labor and environmental rules. They also found that companies added to ESG portfolios did not subsequently improve compliance with labor or environmental regulations.
https://hbr.org/2022/03/an-inconvenien ... dium=email

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cf ... id=3826357

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

dunwithtrump wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:21 pm
Another thought...if you feel so strongly against ESG funds, then you're free to not invest in them.

But why your loud, aggressive objections and the similarly developing restrictive legislation in the House? Could it be that the Big Industry titans sense that the world is shifting under their feet and they're scared of change for the better? Could it be the right wing grifters have flashed the metaphorical bat signal on ceiling of the Truman Show right wing bubble universe and people like you dutifully activate your outrage and start regurgitating their talking points like the beta males you are. Could it be you're a useful idiot?
"change for the better" in your world means moving away from meritocracy...... which basically answers all your other questions.

I assure you our society's aggressive movement away from merit will be far more damaging than either one of us can imagine.
Salute the Marines
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

RiverguyVT wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:02 pm
"change for the better" in your world means moving away from meritocracy...... which basically answers all your other questions.

I assure you our society's aggressive movement away from merit will be far more damaging than either one of us can imagine.
Everything we ever need to know to be good humans we learned in Kindergarten. One of the very first rules is that EVERYONE has merit. I find it not surprising at all that one as selfish and stupid as you subscribes to a selfish and stupid ideology, libertarianism.

In your myopic little meritocratic world, "merit" is defined bass-ackwardly. Your ideology only recognizes de facto merit and not potential merit. In other words:
If one is a wealthy venture capitalist and gets paid a lot of money, by definition they've EARNED their merit and they're paid what they're worth.
If one is a poorly paid school teacher or underpaid firefighter, by definition they lack the same merit and they're paid what they're worth.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

dunwithtrump wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:03 pm
RiverguyVT wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:02 pm

Everything we ever need to know to be good humans we learned in Kindergarten. One of the very first rules is that EVERYONE has merit. I find it not surprising at all that one as selfish and stupid as you subscribes to a selfish and stupid ideology, libertarianism.

In your myopic little meritocratic world, "merit" is defined bass-ackwardly. Your ideology only recognizes de facto merit and not potential merit. In other words:
If one is a wealthy venture capitalist and gets paid a lot of money, by definition they've EARNED their merit and they're paid what they're worth.
If one is a poorly paid school teacher or underpaid firefighter, by definition they lack the same merit and they're paid what they're worth.

Everyone having value is of course correct.
That said, meritocracy is the key to a functioning society. Take SVB. Do those directors have value? Sure! But at the head of a parade, not running a bank.

You’re changing the discussion and arguing against things no one has said.

Yeah, I’m a second career teacher now making 1/4th what I could be making. That doesn’t mean any of my co-workers are equipped to make the $50,000,000 decisions I used to make routinely. They’re not equipped.
Salute the Marines
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

RiverguyVT wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:14 pm
That said, meritocracy is the key to a functioning society.
A meritocracy is fine and dandy, but given full latitude, capitalism will run amuck and arrogate all the "merit" until society crumbles. There need to be regulations as the bank failures clearly demonstrate. To blame "wokeness" for the failures is just f-ing stupid. They overleveraged, didn't follow best practices risk mangement to make an extra helping of "merit" (i.e. greed), and got burned by the VCs who fed them.
RiverguyVT wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:14 pm You’re changing the discussion and arguing against things no one has said.
You brought up the meritocracy, within which we no longer live. For it to be a meritocracy, everyone has to have a chance to rise. But in America, precious few of the poor, people of color, and others who have been systematically discriminated against actually achieve the "merit" you hold so dear. And now, even the white kids are being subjugated. This country will have a reckoning in fairly short order, remember Czar Russia, the french revolution, and the plot of Tommy. Pretty soon, they're not gonna take it.
RiverguyVT wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:14 pm Yeah, I’m a second career teacher now making 1/4th what I could be making. That doesn’t mean any of my co-workers are equipped to make the $50,000,000 decisions I used to make routinely. They’re not equipped.
A teacher! You must be a groomer, I knew it :lol:
On a serious note, here's a great example of your backward thinking I brought up above. You say that none of your teacher peers are equipped to make $50,000,000 decisions.

First I would say you are selling many of them short and you have no idea of peoples' capabilities or merit. But let's grant this is true for the sake of the argument. Are teachers not paid well because they aren't as capable? Or are less capable individuals becoming teachers because teachers are not paid well?

Here in America, we have devalued education in so many ways that we simply get what we pay for. Pay teachers 6 figures and see how capable the teacher candidates become.

My Dad taught for over 30 years and was paid well enough to buy a home with land in northern New Jersey (40 miles from Manhattan, NYC), 2 cars, and take a 2-week vacation each year. He had a Master's degree in science and a certified teacher's certificate. My sister is a Master's-level teacher for the past 20 years and couldn't survive in her Greenwich home without her husband's corporate salary. My wife is a Soviet-trained musician and opera singer (2 master's degrees) who has been a teacher now for 7 years and without my salary couldn't afford to rent the home we live in let alone buy anything despite her side gig as a piano and voice teacher.

My point is, my family represents 3 generations of teachers who are HIGHLY competent but have been systematically being starved of "merit" (i.e. salary) all for the benefit of the very wealthy you seem to believe are the REAL victims of some faceless, nameless, antimeritocratic left wing movement that no one else but you see.

The meritocracy isn't being attacked by the left, it's being attacked by the right.