Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: Obamacare proponent is not laughing anymore

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cardboard wrote:This needs to be put on a poster.

"Of course, I want people to have health care," Vinson said. "I just didn't realize I would be the one who was going to pay for it personally."

Quit promoting yourself!!!!
ISWYDT +1

:mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
That's a silly game. There are millions of people who are going to sign for the ACA, and get coverage, that they couldn't get before. If someone's happiness, or unhappiness with the results, is the barometer, we're going to have to spend a lot of time logging people's reactions.
A guy down the street from me is extremely happy. He had a heart attack a little over a year ago. He changed jobs, and now can't get covered under any decent insurance b/c of a pre-existing condition. ACA comes along, and boom, he gets good healthcare with a reasonable deductible Happy camper.

I believe he might of told you that, but the story sounds like bullshit WADR. Employers ( you said he has a job) are already required to cover pre-existing conditions, but that provision for non-employer provided insurance doesn't kick in until 2014....or am I reading this wrong:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/o ... 97457.html

I don't know all the rules, but employer provided insurance can deny you for a certain time period after the pre-existing condition occurs.

And, even if he is a flaming liar (he may well be but he has exactly zero reason to lie), the overarching point is that there are millions of people who are going to be happy with ACA healthcare. Finding people who are harmed by it, and spreading it all over the place as proof that the ACA sucks, is stupid, and is exactly what creates the LIVs that people are complaining about. Only in this case, they're the ones falling into the LIV category, and they don't even realize it.
I'm sorry....a rudimentary grasp of....math, bureaucratic process and free will ("no USN, you can just pay that fee....err...tax for your freedom") is all you need to know this will be a giant clusterf*ck and a failure.
OK, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

But, a rudimentary grasp of math and bureaucratic process is all you need to know that our former healthcare environment was a giant clusterF and a failure that has well along the path of financial ruin. Free will was still available in the former environment, so that is one huge plus to the old way, and a huge minus to the new way.
Yes, the "former healthcare environment" sucked so bad that our schools, doctors, and hospitals were the envy of the world and anyone, regardless of income or status could partake in it.
The problem with our healthcare wasn't necessarily the quality (although it is lacking in preventative care, and overly reliant on cures), but the cost. But, the cost of providing free healthcare to anyone, through emergency room care, and other free clinics, is/was a huge financial burden to all of us. It needed reform. Dems and Pubs alike have been failing to do anything about it for a long time.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
That's a silly game. There are millions of people who are going to sign for the ACA, and get coverage, that they couldn't get before. If someone's happiness, or unhappiness with the results, is the barometer, we're going to have to spend a lot of time logging people's reactions.
A guy down the street from me is extremely happy. He had a heart attack a little over a year ago. He changed jobs, and now can't get covered under any decent insurance b/c of a pre-existing condition. ACA comes along, and boom, he gets good healthcare with a reasonable deductible Happy camper.

I believe he might of told you that, but the story sounds like bullshit WADR. Employers ( you said he has a job) are already required to cover pre-existing conditions, but that provision for non-employer provided insurance doesn't kick in until 2014....or am I reading this wrong:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/o ... 97457.html

I don't know all the rules, but employer provided insurance can deny you for a certain time period after the pre-existing condition occurs.

And, even if he is a flaming liar (he may well be but he has exactly zero reason to lie), the overarching point is that there are millions of people who are going to be happy with ACA healthcare. Finding people who are harmed by it, and spreading it all over the place as proof that the ACA sucks, is stupid, and is exactly what creates the LIVs that people are complaining about. Only in this case, they're the ones falling into the LIV category, and they don't even realize it.
I'm sorry....a rudimentary grasp of....math, bureaucratic process and free will ("no USN, you can just pay that fee....err...tax for your freedom") is all you need to know this will be a giant clusterf*ck and a failure.

But, a rudimentary grasp of math and bureaucratic process is all you need to know that our former healthcare environment was a giant clusterF and a failure that has well along the path of financial ruin. Free will was still available in the former environment, so that is one huge plus to the old way, and a huge minus to the new way.
Yes, the "former healthcare environment" sucked so bad that our schools, doctors, and hospitals were the envy of the world and anyone, regardless of income or status could partake in it.
The problem with our healthcare wasn't necessarily the quality (although it is lacking in preventative care, and overly reliant on cures), but the cost. But, the cost of providing free healthcare to anyone, through emergency room care, and other free clinics, is/was a huge financial burden to all of us. It needed reform. Dems and Pubs alike have been failing to do anything about it for a long time.
The problem with nice cars is that they're expensive.

Poor people are always going to get free stuff. If you thought the Democrats were going to end that, then I have.....
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

"Of course, I want people to have health care," Vinson said. "I just didn't realize I would be the one who was going to pay for it personally."

ISWYDT +1

DC has a future writing popsicle stick jokes.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Poor people are always going to get free stuff. If you thought the Democrats were going to end that, then I have.....[/quote]

This makes it sound like you think giving expensive healthcare to people who don't pay for it, is a problem created, and maintained, by Dems.
Neither side has done anything about it. Nothing. And our costs continued to increase. Waiting for one of them to do something to decrease the costs is clearly foolish.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

ISWYDT +1

DC has a future writing popsicle stick jokes.

I'm just going to focus on the "DC has a future" segment of your sentence!
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Poor people are always going to get free stuff. If you thought the Democrats were going to end that, then I have.....
This makes it sound like you think giving expensive healthcare to people who don't pay for it, is a problem created, and maintained, by Dems.
Neither side has done anything about it. Nothing. And our costs continued to increase. Waiting for one of them to do something to decrease the costs is clearly foolish.[/quote]

You seriously can't see government involvement has a significant driver of healthcare costs? Just look at what Obamacare is doing now through premiums and cost of care. And through all of this extra demand, is squeezing doctors and nurses out of the business. It's a train wreck. Things were best without Uncle Sam getting in the way.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Neither side has done anything about it. Nothing. And our costs continued to increase. Waiting for one of them to do something to decrease the costs is clearly foolish.[/quote]

This makes it sound like you think the ACA has anything to do with reducing costs. It will fail, like it's supposed to...and government will "fix" it until we're all seeing Pakistani doctors and being promised better healthcare if we only vote for Democrats. We're f*cked.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: I'm sorry....a rudimentary grasp of....math, bureaucratic process and free will ("no USN, you can just pay that fee....err...tax for your freedom") is all you need to know this will be a giant clusterf*ck and a failure.

Neither side has done anything about it. Nothing. And our costs continued to increase. Waiting for one of them to do something to decrease the costs is clearly foolish.
You seriously can't see government involvement has a significant driver of healthcare costs? Just look at what Obamacare is doing now through premiums and cost of care. And through all of this extra demand, is squeezing doctors and nurses out of the business. It's a train wreck. Things were best without Uncle Sam getting in the way.[/quote]

There's a good chart somewhere that shows how healthcare costs have risen with HHS (or its predecessor's) funding (controlled for inflation, of course). Only a true believer would think that 2000 pages of legislation written by lobbyists and crooked politicians would make anything cheaper.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:There's a good chart somewhere that shows how healthcare costs have risen with HHS (or its predecessor's) funding (controlled for inflation, of course). Only a true believer would think that 2000 pages of legislation written by lobbyists and crooked politicians would make anything cheaper.
This is one issue where the extreme moderates bend over backwards to blame nonexistent free markets too. Because when given a number between 1 and 10, it's always 5 even when it's not.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Welpers the comedy of errors that is the...

Post by Major Kong »

healthcare.gov website is turning into a classic Greek tragedy.

I just read where the new tweaked & "improved" program has permanently deleted all the passwords and security answers...you can't sign in with the username created (I confirmed by not being able to log into the account I created for my BIL) and you have to re-register but you can't use your old username.

I swear if this is even a slight vision of things to come we're frakked with a red hot poker while sliding down a rusty razor blade into a vat of 90% alcohol. :(
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:healthcare.gov website is turning into a classic Greek tragedy.

I just read where the new tweaked & "improved" program has permanently deleted all the passwords and security answers...you can't sign in with the username created (I confirmed by not being able to log into the account I created for my BIL) and you have to re-register but you can't use your old username.

I swear if this is even a slight vision of things to come we're frakked with a red hot poker while sliding down a rusty razor blade into a vat of 90% alcohol. :(
This is authentication too, the easiest part of the system. And also the first. Not a good sign, tells me they're testing in prod...aka, haven't tested it. Accenture, AMS , or whoever is likely facing a multimillion dollar lawsuit. I mean they paid hundreds of millions for what should cost 10s of millions. Only working! The beltway bandits are probably in CYA mode and have client sign off in the safe. Another week and the public will demand delays, making the Republicans look like heroes.