Obamacare proponent is not laughing anymore

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Homebrew

Obamacare proponent is not laughing anymore

Post by Homebrew »

http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world ... s-bay-area
indy Vinson and Tom Waschura are big believers in the Affordable Care Act. They vote independent and are proud to say they helped elect and re-elect President Barack Obama.

Vinson, of San Jose, will pay $1,800 more a year for an individual policy, while Waschura, of Portola Valley, will cough up almost $10,000 more for insurance for his family of four.

Home
Nation & World News
Story

Print Email
Obamacare's winners and losers in Bay Area

By Tracy Seipel

tseipel@mercurynews.com
Posted: 10/05/2013 04:52:50 PM PDT | Updated: a day ago

O'Connor Hospital health benefits resource center staff member Araceli Martinez, left, and Duc Pham, right, talk with Maria Urquidez, in red, about healthcare information as the Affordable Care Act launches nationwide Oct. 1, 2013. (Josie Lepe/Staff)
Click photo to enlarge
Tom Waschura says he was floored when he got his new Obamacare health insurance rates.

»

Related Stories

Oct 5:
South Bay residents get answers to Obamacare questions

Cindy Vinson and Tom Waschura are big believers in the Affordable Care Act. They vote independent and are proud to say they helped elect and re-elect President Barack Obama.

Yet, like many other Bay Area residents who pay for their own medical insurance, they were floored last week when they opened their bills: Their policies were being replaced with pricier plans that conform to all the requirements of the new health care law.

Vinson, of San Jose, will pay $1,800 more a year for an individual policy, while Waschura, of Portola Valley, will cough up almost $10,000 more for insurance for his family of four.

"Welcome to the club," said Robert Laszewksi, a prominent health care consultant and president of
Health Policy and Strategy Associates in Virginia.

For years, the nation has been embroiled in the political rhetoric of "Obamacare," but this past week the reality of the new law sank in as millions of Americans had their first good look at how the 3 1/2-year-old legislation will affect their pocketbooks.

This much quickly became clear:

As state- and federal-run health insurance exchanges debuted across the country offering a range of prices for different tiers of insurance coverage, the new online marketplaces -- which represent the centerpiece of Obamacare -- could greatly benefit more than 40 million Americans who now lack coverage. But an additional 16 million -- who buy individual health insurance policies on the open market -- are finding out that their plans may not comply with the new law, which requires 10 essential benefits such as maternity care, mental health care and prescription drug coverage.

In California, 1.9 million people buy plans on the open market, according to officials with Covered California, the state's new health insurance exchange. And many of them are steaming mad.

"There's going to be a number of people surprised" by their bills, said Jonathan Wu, a co-founder of ValuePenguin, a consumer finance website. "The upper-middle class are the people who are essentially being asked to foot the bill, and that's true across the country."

Covered California spokesman Dana Howard maintained that in public presentations the exchange has always made clear that there will be winners and losers under Obamacare.

"Some people will see an increase who are already on the individual market purchasing insurance," he said, "but most people will not."

Covered California officials note that at least 570,000 of the 1.9 million people who buy their own insurance should be eligible for subsidies that will reduce their premiums.

Even those who don't qualify for the tax subsidies could see their rates drop because Obamacare doesn't allow insurers to charge people more if they have pre-existing conditions such as diabetes and cancer, he said.

People like Marilynn Gray-Raine.

The 64-year-old Danville artist, who survived breast cancer, has purchased health insurance for herself for decades. She watched her Anthem Blue Cross monthly premiums rise from $317 in 2005 to $1,298 in 2013. But she found out last week from the Covered California site that her payments will drop to about $795 a month.

But people with no pre-existing conditions like Vinson, a 60-year-old retired teacher, and Waschura, a 52-year-old self-employed engineer, are making up the difference.

"I was laughing at Boehner -- until the mail came today," Waschura said, referring to House Speaker John Boehner, who is leading the Republican charge to defund Obamacare.

"I really don't like the Republican tactics, but at least now I can understand why they are so pissed about this. When you take $10,000 out of my family's pocket each year, that's otherwise disposable income or retirement savings that will not be going into our local economy."

Both Vinson and Waschura have adjusted gross incomes greater than four times the federal poverty level -- the cutoff for a tax credit. And while both said they anticipated their rates would go up, they didn't realize they would rise so much.

"Of course, I want people to have health care," Vinson said. "I just didn't realize I would be the one who was going to pay for it personally."

cardboard

Re: Obamacare proponent is not laughing anymore

Post by cardboard »

This needs to be put on a poster.

"Of course, I want people to have health care," Vinson said. "I just didn't realize I would be the one who was going to pay for it personally."

Homebrew wrote:http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world ... s-bay-area
indy Vinson and Tom Waschura are big believers in the Affordable Care Act. They vote independent and are proud to say they helped elect and re-elect President Barack Obama.

Home
Nation & World News
Story

Print Email

By Tracy Seipel

tseipel@mercurynews.com

O'Connor Hospital health benefits resource center staff member Araceli Martinez, left, and Duc Pham, right, talk with Maria Urquidez, in red, about healthcare information as the Affordable Care Act launches nationwide Oct. 1, 2013. (Josie Lepe/Staff)
Click photo to enlarge
Tom Waschura says he was floored when he got his new Obamacare health insurance rates.

»

Related Stories

Oct 5:

Cindy Vinson and Tom Waschura are big believers in the Affordable Care Act. They vote independent and are proud to say they helped elect and re-elect President Barack Obama.

Yet, like many other Bay Area residents who pay for their own medical insurance, they were floored last week when they opened their bills: Their policies were being replaced with pricier plans that conform to all the requirements of the new health care law.

"Welcome to the club," said Robert Laszewksi, a prominent health care consultant and president of

For years, the nation has been embroiled in the political rhetoric of "Obamacare," but this past week the reality of the new law sank in as millions of Americans had their first good look at how the 3 1/2-year-old legislation will affect their pocketbooks.

As state- and federal-run health insurance exchanges debuted across the country offering a range of prices for different tiers of insurance coverage, the new online marketplaces -- which represent the centerpiece of Obamacare -- could greatly benefit more than 40 million Americans who now lack coverage. But an additional 16 million -- who buy individual health insurance policies on the open market -- are finding out that their plans may not comply with the new law, which requires 10 essential benefits such as maternity care, mental health care and prescription drug coverage.

In California, 1.9 million people buy plans on the open market, according to officials with Covered California, the state's new health insurance exchange. And many of them are steaming mad.

"There's going to be a number of people surprised" by their bills, said Jonathan Wu, a co-founder of ValuePenguin, a consumer finance website. "The upper-middle class are the people who are essentially being asked to foot the bill, and that's true across the country."

Covered California spokesman Dana Howard maintained that in public presentations the exchange has always made clear that there will be winners and losers under Obamacare.

"Some people will see an increase who are already on the individual market purchasing insurance," he said, "but most people will not."

Covered California officials note that at least 570,000 of the 1.9 million people who buy their own insurance should be eligible for subsidies that will reduce their premiums.

Even those who don't qualify for the tax subsidies could see their rates drop because Obamacare doesn't allow insurers to charge people more if they have pre-existing conditions such as diabetes and cancer, he said.

The 64-year-old Danville artist, who survived breast cancer, has purchased health insurance for herself for decades. She watched her Anthem Blue Cross monthly premiums rise from $317 in 2005 to $1,298 in 2013. But she found out last week from the Covered California site that her payments will drop to about $795 a month.

But people with no pre-existing conditions like Vinson, a 60-year-old retired teacher, and Waschura, a 52-year-old self-employed engineer, are making up the difference.

"I was laughing at Boehner -- until the mail came today," Waschura said, referring to House Speaker John Boehner, who is leading the Republican charge to defund Obamacare.

"I really don't like the Republican tactics, but at least now I can understand why they are so pissed about this. When you take $10,000 out of my family's pocket each year, that's otherwise disposable income or retirement savings that will not be going into our local economy."

Both Vinson and Waschura have adjusted gross incomes greater than four times the federal poverty level -- the cutoff for a tax credit. And while both said they anticipated their rates would go up, they didn't realize they would rise so much.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Lots of Obamtrons are getting the same wakeup call. My SIL got canned from her fast food job so they can reduce heakthcare costs. But she's not smart enough to see what's happening and thinks we need the ACA BECAUSE of what happened to her. She's not informed enough to know ACA is what caused it in the first place. Her and many other unreasonable voices are going to look at it this way. There's no fix for stupid.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Limbaugh just cited the same quotation from the article. Low information voters, will they ever learn?

cardboard wrote:This needs to be put on a poster.

Home
Nation & World News
Story

Print Email

By Tracy Seipel

tseipel@mercurynews.com

Click photo to enlarge

»

Related Stories

Oct 5:

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

My BIL came out OK...

Post by Major Kong »

he lives off a stipend my FIL left him through the estate of $1500 a month. He was paying $900 a month to Anthem (which we pay ½)...he got a comparable plan for $1100 a year for Obamacare.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

oaktonhokie wrote:Limbaugh just cited the same quotation from the article. Low information voters, will they ever learn?

Home
Nation & World News
Story

Print Email

By Tracy Seipel

tseipel@mercurynews.com

Click photo to enlarge

»

Related Stories

Oct 5:

That's a silly game. There are millions of people who are going to sign for the ACA, and get coverage, that they couldn't get before. If someone's happiness, or unhappiness with the results, is the barometer, we're going to have to spend a lot of time logging people's reactions.
A guy down the street from me is extremely happy. He had a heart attack a little over a year ago. He changed jobs, and now can't get covered under any decent insurance b/c of a pre-existing condition. ACA comes along, and boom, he gets good healthcare with a reasonable deductible Happy camper.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Home
Nation & World News
Story

Print Email

By Tracy Seipel

tseipel@mercurynews.com

Click photo to enlarge

»

Related Stories

Oct 5:

Damn, you beat me.
USN_Hokie

Re: My BIL came out OK...

Post by USN_Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:he lives off a stipend my FIL left him through the estate of $1500 a month. He was paying $900 a month to Anthem (which we pay ½)...he got a comparable plan for $1100 a year for Obamacare.
That's -22% Savings!

The comparison doesn't even take into account the ramp-up in insurance rates before Obamacare was implemented.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

USN_Hokie wrote:That's -22% Savings!

The comparison doesn't even take into account the ramp-up in insurance rates before Obamacare was implemented.
No he went from paying $900 a month to $1100 a year ($91.67 a month). :mrgreen:

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:Limbaugh just cited the same quotation from the article. Low information voters, will they ever learn?

Home
Nation & World News
Story

Print Email

By Tracy Seipel

tseipel@mercurynews.com

Click photo to enlarge

»

Related Stories

Oct 5:

That's a silly game. There are millions of people who are going to sign for the ACA, and get coverage, that they couldn't get before. If someone's happiness, or unhappiness with the results, is the barometer, we're going to have to spend a lot of time logging people's reactions.
A guy down the street from me is extremely happy. He had a heart attack a little over a year ago. He changed jobs, and now can't get covered under any decent insurance b/c of a pre-existing condition. ACA comes along, and boom, he gets good healthcare with a reasonable deductible Happy camper.
I believe he might of told you that, but the story sounds like bullshit WADR. Employers ( you said he has a job) are already required to cover pre-existing conditions, but that provision for non-employer provided insurance doesn't kick in until 2014....or am I reading this wrong:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/o ... 97457.html
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Some people are just too dumb for their own good.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Home
Nation & World News
Story

Print Email

By Tracy Seipel

tseipel@mercurynews.com

Click photo to enlarge

»

Related Stories

Oct 5:

I believe he might of told you that, but the story sounds like bullshit WADR. Employers ( you said he has a job) are already required to cover pre-existing conditions, but that provision for non-employer provided insurance doesn't kick in until 2014....or am I reading this wrong:

I don't know all the rules, but employer provided insurance can deny you for a certain time period after the pre-existing condition occurs.

And, even if he is a flaming liar (he may well be but he has exactly zero reason to lie), the overarching point is that there are millions of people who are going to be happy with ACA healthcare. Finding people who are harmed by it, and spreading it all over the place as proof that the ACA sucks, is stupid, and is exactly what creates the LIVs that people are complaining about. Only in this case, they're the ones falling into the LIV category, and they don't even realize it.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:

Ahh, missed that detail. So, it's paid for by all of us then...
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Ahh, missed that detail. So, it's paid for by all of us then...
Who says a life of drinking doesn't pay off?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:Who says a life of drinking doesn't pay off?
That is what I was thinking as well. He hasn't worked a day in 8 yrs...granted some of that has been spent in the hoosegow...and he can't get disability or I should say hasn't been able to get it yet.

I kid you not I'm not lying when I tell y'all this...if I'm lying I'm dying.

When he (BIL) got turned down on his disability application earlier this year I took him down to a "disability" attorney in Abingdon. They went over the case and interviewed him and did not take the appeal. They said he'd never get it while living in Virginia on appeal because Virginia is tough on alcoholic based disability (you could have fooled me) but if he were to move to TN he would have been approved on the initial go. :shock:

Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

USN_Hokie wrote:Ahh, missed that detail. So, it's paid for by all of us then...
No, no, no! According to my BIL, a bigger Dem & Obama supporter you'll not find in this area, it's paid for by the Fed gubment. :o

Tafkam Hokie

Post by Tafkam Hokie »

So what happens when a gay married couple finds out they have to pay extra for maternity care because it is one of the essential elements of an ObamaCare-compliant policy?
RoswellGAHokie

Post by RoswellGAHokie »

Typical liberal attitude. Generous with other people's money, just not their own.

Home
Nation & World News
Story

Print Email

By Tracy Seipel

tseipel@mercurynews.com

Click photo to enlarge

»

Related Stories

Oct 5:

VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

HokieFanDC wrote: I don't know all the rules, but employer provided insurance can deny you for a certain time period after the pre-existing condition occurs.

And, even if he is a flaming liar (he may well be but he has exactly zero reason to lie), the overarching point is that there are millions of people who are going to be happy with ACA healthcare. Finding people who are harmed by it, and spreading it all over the place as proof that the ACA sucks, is stupid, and is exactly what creates the LIVs that people are complaining about. Only in this case, they're the ones falling into the LIV category, and they don't even realize it.
Great point, HokieFanDC. Too bad nobody on here seems to be listening. There will be many, many people happy with the ACA. And there will certainly be a few who have legit complaints. But this game of scorekeeping is beyond silly. Especially when you provide an real-life example and people on here tell you he is lying because his experience does not support their political view?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Tafkam Hokie wrote:So what happens when a gay married couple finds out they have to pay extra for maternity care because it is one of the essential elements of an ObamaCare-compliant policy?
I'm pretty sure they solve this by making us all pay for maternity care....even CW.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Home
Nation & World News
Story

Print Email

By Tracy Seipel

tseipel@mercurynews.com

Click photo to enlarge

»

Related Stories

Oct 5:

I don't know all the rules, but employer provided insurance can deny you for a certain time period after the pre-existing condition occurs.

I'm sorry....a rudimentary grasp of....math, bureaucratic process and free will ("no USN, you can just pay that fee....err...tax for your freedom") is all you need to know this will be a giant clusterf*ck and a failure.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: This needs to be put on a poster.

Home
Nation & World News
Story

Print Email

By Tracy Seipel

tseipel@mercurynews.com

Click photo to enlarge

»

Related Stories

Oct 5:

I'm sorry....a rudimentary grasp of....math, bureaucratic process and free will ("no USN, you can just pay that fee....err...tax for your freedom") is all you need to know this will be a giant clusterf*ck and a failure.
OK, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

But, a rudimentary grasp of math and bureaucratic process is all you need to know that our former healthcare environment was a giant clusterF and a failure that has well along the path of financial ruin. Free will was still available in the former environment, so that is one huge plus to the old way, and a huge minus to the new way.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Quit promoting yourself!!!!
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: This needs to be put on a poster.

Home
Nation & World News
Story

Print Email

By Tracy Seipel

tseipel@mercurynews.com

Click photo to enlarge

»

Related Stories

Oct 5:

OK, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

But, a rudimentary grasp of math and bureaucratic process is all you need to know that our former healthcare environment was a giant clusterF and a failure that has well along the path of financial ruin. Free will was still available in the former environment, so that is one huge plus to the old way, and a huge minus to the new way.
Yes, the "former healthcare environment" sucked so bad that our schools, doctors, and hospitals were the envy of the world and anyone, regardless of income or status could partake in it.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:

Quit promoting yourself!!!!
Lol, horrible. Don't quit your day job. ;)