Oh good grief don't ask me about tablets...

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Oh good grief don't ask me about tablets...

Post by Major Kong »

Evidently this will be the season of the tablets for gift giving.

I'll admit I'm a PC hardware fanatic...wanna a new desktop tell me what ya want and I can build it. Laptops? I don't build 'em but I can fix 'em...hell far I'm still using a 2½ year old Asus 17" laptop from time to time and wouldn't trade it for nuthin'...I will admit that my wife has a Toshiba Qosmio she purchased used from Amazon this summer that is awfully impressive ( I upped the memory). She got it because it's red. :)

Tablets? Hellsbells I know nothing about 'em. I have a 2 year old 10" Ematic with Android 2.3 that I use as a Kobo book reader and it's gooderly enough for me. So far my niece, my wife's niece, my nephew and a myriad of others have called me asking what do I think of this tablet or that tablet.

My response has been hell-if-I-know. I've told them just get what they're selling on nomorerack or w00t. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Re: Oh good grief don't ask me about tablets...

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:Evidently this will be the season of the tablets for gift giving.

I'll admit I'm a PC hardware fanatic...wanna a new desktop tell me what ya want and I can build it. Laptops? I don't build 'em but I can fix 'em...hell far I'm still using a 2½ year old Asus 17" laptop from time to time and wouldn't trade it for nuthin'...I will admit that my wife has a Toshiba Qosmio she purchased used from Amazon this summer that is awfully impressive ( I upped the memory). She got it because it's red. :)

Tablets? Hellsbells I know nothing about 'em. I have a 2 year old 10" Ematic with Android 2.3 that I use as a Kobo book reader and it's gooderly enough for me. So far my niece, my wife's niece, my nephew and a myriad of others have called me asking what do I think of this tablet or that tablet.

My response has been hell-if-I-know. I've told them just get what they're selling on nomorerack or w00t. :)
I have had two iPads and one Samsung/android. The Apple product is much better, but more money of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I have had two iPads and one Samsung/android. The Apple product is much better, but more money of course.

I've gotten about 7 calls since Christmas Day asking for help. Android Jellybean Asus, MSI and Proscan...The Asus one I figured out (WiFi), the 2 Proscan's my niece figured out (WiFi) and the MSI I really don't have a clue.

Now on a different vein the 2 calls about laptops I got I took care of in less than 5 minutes.

HP laptop initializing the built in wireless adapter. Asus laptop hooking up a HDMI cable to a LG TV and putting the desktop from the laptop to the TV. Both just took hitting the right function key although I would have thought that the HP laptop would have had the wireless initiated.

Both laptops are Win 8.1 64 bit. There was a little bit of bitching but installing Classic Shell 4.0.2 took care of that. :mrgreen:

Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:Evidently this will be the season of the tablets for gift giving.

I have had two iPads and one Samsung/android. The Apple product is much better, but more money of course.

I wouldn't say 'better' from a hardware standpoint as the newer tablets are easily as capable as the Apple products. To me the bigger difference is on the software side of the equation.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Hokie5150 wrote:I wouldn't say 'better' from a hardware standpoint as the newer tablets are easily as capable as the Apple products. To me the bigger difference is on the software side of the equation.
Yeah Apple drifted away from their "proprietary" hardware sometime ago the difference is the software.

I haven't done it but I've seen several Hackintoshes. :)