I'm considering going away from the iPhone

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

I'm considering going away from the iPhone

Post by nolanvt »

To preface, this thread isn't for the Holy Warriors between the Apple and anti-Apple fanbois.

Anyway, what non-iPhone would you recommend?
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
oaktonhokie

Re: I'm considering going away from the iPhone

Post by oaktonhokie »

I love the Motorola ultra.

nolanvt wrote:To preface, this thread isn't for the Holy Warriors between the Apple and anti-Apple fanbois.

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:To preface, this thread isn't for the Holy Warriors between the Apple and anti-Apple fanbois.

Samsung Galaxy S4, there is no substitute.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

Why? What is worth not having my iTunes songs handy?
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

droid has equivalents. There may even be itunes for the droid. I listen to groveshark over the mobile web. It's free and good quality. Or iheartradio when on the road. This is my poor man's substitute for Sirius in the car. The only drawback is when I drive cross country through pretty much anywhere west of Kansas till getting back to CA. The mid-west is pingless.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Interesting, ag. I bought the Samsung and hated it. Hated it. Took it back got the mororola ultra. Love it.

Different strokes for different folks.

If I didn't know better, i'd say you were a Samsung loving lib. :)

awesome guy wrote:

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

oaktonhokie wrote:Interesting, ag. I bought the Samsung and hated it. Hated it. Took it back got the mororola ultra. Love it.

Different strokes for different folks.

If I didn't know better, i'd say you were a Samsung loving lib. :)

awesome guy wrote:

hey now! :lol:
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

This is probably my only deterrent. I like being able to link up my phone and my music/video files from iTunes.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Why are you considering switching? I'm curious, and it could also help you answer what phone you should get.
People who know, know.
BlacksburgVA

Post by BlacksburgVA »

Many blogs said the best phone of 2013 was the Moto X (1 cent on Amazon, assembled in the USA). New Samsung will be out in May if you can hold out on upgrading.

iTunes and Android are compatible for music: http://ipod.about.com/od/advanceditunes ... es-Not.htm
Go Hokies
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

It depends on why you're ditching the iPhone. If you have a mac, iCloud, Apple TV, etc and use the apple ecosystem, an iphone is best.
Otherwise, I'd just get whatever is the latest android (until Ubuntu phones are available).

A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

TheH2 wrote:

Why are you considering switching? I'm curious, and it could also help you answer what phone you should get.
I've had several minor recurring issues with my last two iPhones (the 4 and now the 5 I have currently) that have simply been annoying and unable to be fixed - not properly connecting to wifi, keyboard malfunctions, quick battery drainage, small stuff like that even after updating the software and storing items in the cloud. I like the look and the features of the Samsung Galaxy, but I don't think it's compatible with iTunes, which is the only other Apple product I use and like having my music/video files synced with my phone.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Apparently the best battery is the Galaxy, based on research I did a few weeks ago. I'm surprised that it doesn't work with itunes, or there isn't an app or something that makes it a non-issue. A few people in my office have the Galaxy and love it. I've had an HTC for over two years and it's been fine (considering the market doesn't like there phones maybe I'm easy to please). In general, the phone works great, I almost always have a good data connection, I have an extra battery, and when I lose data I just restart my phone. I'm sure it will begin to malfunction soon though.

When it does I'll likely get the "unbreakable" phone, assuming it doesn't suck.
People who know, know.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

iTunes on Windows?

If so, the options are

a) Use something other than iTunes (there are plenty of great alternatives out there, depending on your needs)
b) iTunes can sync with Android phones. There's software to do this pretty easily. (http://www.samsung.com/uk/mobileappsand ... -sync.html)
c) resolve the iPhone issues

Is it just your wifi network, or all wifi networks that you have trouble connecting to?
What are the keyboard malfunctions?

nolanvt wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

I've had several minor recurring issues with my last two iPhones (the 4 and now the 5 I have currently) that have simply been annoying and unable to be fixed - not properly connecting to wifi, keyboard malfunctions, quick battery drainage, small stuff like that even after updating the software and storing items in the cloud. I like the look and the features of the Samsung Galaxy, but I don't think it's compatible with iTunes, which is the only other Apple product I use and like having my music/video files synced with my phone.
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

Nexus 5
If t-mobile is good in your area, there are some major $ incentives to go with them. I pay $40 a month and with Google voice am able to meet all my needs. I find t-mobile is terrible while traveling up and down 81 though. And the Nexus 5 is the best bang for the buck of any phone (unlocked at $350). Plus it gets the android updates first.

Moto X
If sprint is good in your area and you have good open Wi-Fi networks as well, republic wireless is an intriguing option. They have a contract free Moto X (only usable on republic wireless though) for $300 and a good plan from $25. If sprint was better around me, I would probably make that switch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Uprising wrote:

Nexus 5
If t-mobile is good in your area, there are some major $ incentives to go with them. I pay $40 a month and with Google voice am able to meet all my needs. I find t-mobile is terrible while traveling up and down 81 though. And the Nexus 5 is the best bang for the buck of any phone (unlocked at $350). Plus it gets the android updates first.

Moto X
If sprint is good in your area and you have good open Wi-Fi networks as well, republic wireless is an intriguing option. They have a contract free Moto X (only usable on republic wireless though) for $300 and a good plan from $25. If sprint was better around me, I would probably make that switch.

I think I have to stick with AT&T or Verizon. While I live in NOVA and the phone would work here, I would be out of commission when we go to my parents down in Lebanon, VA. I'll probably take a serious look into the phone options once I'm done with the CPA exam.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

I have an S4 and a Note II. Both are great. Fast boot. Excellent wifi. Amazing screen. Good camera (S4 seems better) and camera functionality. I don't know about the music stuff b/c I don't use my phone for that. I had Moto Droids (RAZR Maxx was my last one) prior and these are way better. Battery life on the Maxx was terrific and the S4 is comparable. But, the new Motos are probably in the same ballpark overall. Overall quality and technology is better in the newer Androids than the iPhones, but it's hard to beat all the Apple integration, if you use it.
nolanvt wrote:
Uprising wrote:

Nexus 5

Moto X

I think I have to stick with AT&T or Verizon. While I live in NOVA and the phone would work here, I would be out of commission when we go to my parents down in Lebanon, VA. I'll probably take a serious look into the phone options once I'm done with the CPA exam.