UHF radios for kayaking. What do you use?

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
Homebrew

UHF radios for kayaking. What do you use?

Post by Homebrew »

I'm looking for a VHF radio, what features should I get?

Looking at Standard Horizon hx851
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: UHF radios for kayaking. What do you use?

Post by awesome guy »

I've been slack in getting one and haven't gotten one. Let me know please what you find out because I'm getting one soon too. My buddies want to start yaking to the first island of the CBBT and a radio is must have gear there.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

Ordered the Standard Horizon Hx851. Top handheld VHF produced by the company and considered a best buy from Sea Kayaker magazine (before they folded in February).

Has built in GPS and DSC. It can send your coordinates to others in a group, or to the coast guard in an emergency. GPS can guide you to your friends location or another boater in distress.

Waterproof, floats. Gives you about 9 hours with the lithium batteries, but can swap out for AAs.

$30 mail in rebate from now until July 31st.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Homebrew wrote:Ordered the Standard Horizon Hx851. Top handheld VHF produced by the company and considered a best buy from Sea Kayaker magazine (before they folded in February).

Has built in GPS and DSC. It can send your coordinates to others in a group, or to the coast guard in an emergency. GPS can guide you to your friends location or another boater in distress.

Waterproof, floats. Gives you about 9 hours with the lithium batteries, but can swap out for AAs.

$30 mail in rebate from now until July 31st.
nice! I want one.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.