wife bday coming up

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
RiverguyVT

wife bday coming up

Post by RiverguyVT »

what do I get her?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Once

Re: wife bday coming up

Post by Once »

What are her interests?
Is she sentimental?

RiverguyVT wrote:what do I get her?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Once wrote:What are her interests?
Is she sentimental?

yes, she's sentimental.
interests? Dang if I know. Sandwich making? Married 28 yrs. She likes girl stuff. Dust ruffles on four post beds, monogrammed tea towels, my little pony. You know ..the normal stuff.
Salute the Marines
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote: my little pony.
You're married to Valencia's Brony son?
Once

Post by Once »

You're going to have to forgive me for backing out of the conversation now. I cannot help you.
RiverguyVT wrote:
Is she sentimental?

yes, she's sentimental.
interests? Dang if I know. Sandwich making? Married 28 yrs. She likes girl stuff. Dust ruffles on four post beds, monogrammed tea towels, my little pony. You know ..the normal stuff.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Once wrote:You're going to have to forgive me for backing out of the conversation now. I cannot help you.
RiverguyVT wrote:
Is she sentimental?

yes, she's sentimental.
I'm being a smartass. Sorry. :oops:
Her favorite past time is after-work glass of wine with the girlfriends (who I've nicknamed "the coven"). She likes garden stuff in the yard (not veggies; flowers & such). She likes hiking w/ me as a couples activity. Her focus is on our two kids more than her own self-interests (20 & 21 yrs). I was joking about the sammich stuff, but she is indeed a helluva cook. No one I know has a wife who cooks as well as mine. No one (and it isn't even close). She's a bit of a gym rat (4-5 times / week).

She used to LOVE to ski; no longer.

She's sentimental towards b'burg (where we met...where she grew up). Early-years reminders would do well.
She's very close to her parents...who are aging. Maybe I should buy her a ticket to go see 'em. (?)
She loves travel (we hiked the GrCanyon several yrs ago). She digs the west. Several AZ trips under out belts.

Truly, though...she does like dust ruffle & tea-towel stuff.
Salute the Marines
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
Once wrote:You're going to have to forgive me for backing out of the conversation now. I cannot help you.
RiverguyVT wrote:
Is she sentimental?

yes, she's sentimental.
Her favorite past time is after-work glass of wine with the girlfriends (who I've nicknamed "the coven"). She likes garden stuff in the yard (not veggies; flowers & such). She likes hiking w/ me as a couples activity. Her focus is on our two kids more than her own self-interests (20 & 21 yrs). I was joking about the sammich stuff, but she is indeed a helluva cook. No one I know has a wife who cooks as well as mine. No one (and it isn't even close). She's a bit of a gym rat (4-5 times / week).

She's sentimental towards b'burg (where we met...where she grew up). Early-years reminders would do well.
She's very close to her parents...who are aging. Maybe I should buy her a ticket to go see 'em. (?)
She loves travel (we hiked the GrCanyon several yrs ago). She digs the west. Several AZ trips under out belts.

Plane ticket to see her folks sounds like a nice idea..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Skip it. Don't do anything. It's just another day of the year. Right?
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Skip it. Don't do anything. It's just another day of the year. Right?
It's just another day of the year. Right?

specifically, or metaphorically?
Salute the Marines
Once

Post by Once »

Although I'm sure she is very close to her parents, I'm not sure a ticket to go visit them is really a birthday gift per say. You mentioned that they are aging, which brings to mind my own aging parents and how emotionally exhausting it is to visit sometimes. I fly every 3 months to check on mine and my brother does the same (we stagger the visits so they see one of us every 6 weeks). Even if they are ambulatory and reasonably healthy for their age, it's tough and although she should visit them as often as she can, I don't know that it's a good present (but I'm only speaking for myself here).

An alternative idea (might be a little pricey once you add everything up so you might want to consider something a bit less extravagant).

There's a B&B in Christiansburg called the Oaks (or something like that). I've stayed there it was nice. They have girly dust ruffles (check) 4-poster beds (check), doilies, and delicate furniture on spindly legs, etc. They serve a very good gourmet-ish breakfast. There are gardens on the property. Hiking, wineries (check), etc. are allegedly nearby as are her parents if they are still in the area. You can check on her parents and visit with them, but you can also have some couple time that doesn't include her cleaning up after anyone. If you get lucky enough to schedule it on a football weekend and your wife actually LIKES football, so much the better.

Disclaimer: I do not like dust ruffles. Doilies make me nervous as do lace table cloths, fussy knick knacks, and other various little breakable objects that fall into a category I call 'useless garbage that someone has to dust'. I say someone because I'm not doing it. I think those creepy porcelain dolls need the demons rebuked out of them. The demon problem also goes for every painting of a creepy little girl by an artist called Patti Bannister. She seems to be big among B&B proprietors (and my mother)....

All that said, I'm not a fan of traditional bed and breakfast inns. The place in Christiansburg was nice though and nothing stared down at me from the walls with big guileless eyes and vacant expressions. The rooms would be considered romantic by a lot of women.

A less extravagant idea: find a local artist who does scenes from the Blacksburg she remembers from days gone by. Purchase something that is sentimental for both of you and hang it in the house for her. I have several things that were relatively inexpensive from places that mean something to me and I love them. Most of them were under $100.

Should neither of those work out for you, I sketch a very shapely naked man from the back (tastefully done in charcoal of course). I'm just finishing a guy I call Angus on account of the kilt I sketched for him that's slipping off his back end... :lol:

I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

P.S. go make Mrs. Riverguy a sandwich. :)

RiverguyVT wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Is she sentimental?

yes, she's sentimental.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

I'm disappointed that nobody has suggested a dick-in-a-box yet.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

vacuum cleaner or iron, women LOVE that stuff
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Once

Post by Once »

Oh man, I actually did. At dinner last night I was telling Mr. Once about the thread. He asked what I suggested. I said I told Riverguy to "first, get a box and cut a hole in it...."
USN_Hokie wrote:I'm disappointed that nobody has suggested a dick-in-a-box yet.
Once

Post by Once »

I did get a ceramic coated cast iron roasting pot once that I was stoked about. You can fit a whole turkey in it!!
awesome guy wrote:
vacuum cleaner or iron, women LOVE that stuff
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

daughter to the rescue w/ a great idea which my wife loved.
my idea to have roses waiting at our table at the restaurant. all went well.
Salute the Marines