How long until we are good again?

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

How long until we are good again?

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I had low expectations for this seasons so I was tickled pink at 6-1. However reality set in and 7-4 is where we are. We are probably a top 50 team at best.

I am all for giving the new coaches a mulligan season to some degree, but how long will it take until we are competing against fsu and Clemson for the crown? Ever?

When do we have players like Tyrod, Ru Ru, David Wilson, Coale, and Boykin again? Do you guys think The youngins like Stanford will get there, or are they simply not at the same level?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Re: How long until we are good again?

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

It won't happen until we can block again. How can you have a ball control offense with no blocking. I do think the RB talent is down as well. Some of the offense is young. It won't be pretty next year. It may be worse. With no LT there may be no ground game at all. Can the OL be fixed by next year? I don't see how. I think Wang is limited by previous injuries and shortness. Ferris might be good if he is healthy. We have to replace Andrew Miller. It doesn't look good. TE may be a bright spot next year. As far as receivers go I think a couple of these guys are solid and will be dependable. But I don't see much more than that. We need more talent in all areas and that takes time.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
oaktonhokie

Re: How long until we are good again?

Post by oaktonhokie »

At least two years, maybe three.

We need good fat guys and an outstanding qb. We have not had either since logan Thomas was a sophomore. We have not had both in several years.

Our OL will take at least two years to rework.

And i'm not sure who our qb will be. The little I have seen of leal, he looked pretty good. But he'll be a senior with no meaningful game experience. And after him, the cupboard looks pretty bare.

Should we play him to win games for one year or break in a younger qb who can lead us for four years?

And I hope i'm wrong, but I can not get too excited about bringing in a three star qb after our first two choices went elsewhere. Maybe he is joe Montana, maybe he's hanna montana. I hope he's great.

And the two or three year prediction assumes that our defense remains strong.

We will get our seven or eight wins for the next two years. That will be about the time beamer retires, imo. We will be at a crossroads at that time. Depending on the coach and the players (DUH, unlike every other team I guess) we will rise up to greatness or be ridden down to obscurity.

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I had low expectations for this seasons so I was tickled pink at 6-1. However reality set in and 7-4 is where we are. We are probably a top 50 team at best.

I am all for giving the new coaches a mulligan season to some degree, but how long will it take until we are competing against fsu and Clemson for the crown? Ever?

When do we have players like Tyrod, Ru Ru, David Wilson, Coale, and Boykin again? Do you guys think The youngins like Stanford will get there, or are they simply not at the same level?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.