What's it going to take to turn it around?

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

What's it going to take to turn it around?

Post by awesome guy »

Our one man show O is gone. Lear looked ok, but not enough to win a championship. Seems like we've missed a lot in recruiting at the skill positions.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
UpstateSCHokie

Re: What's it going to take to turn it around?

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

What do you consider as being "turned around?" Winning 10 games? Winning the Coastal? Winning the ACC? Or being a legit contender for the MNC?

I don't see us doing the latter 2 for probably more than a decade. Will take a fresh new coach with a 21st century approach to offense (i.e. someone like a Chip Kelly becoming the head coach). Not sure VT will spend the $ to get a big time coach, but a lot depends on who the new AD will be.
awesome guy wrote:Our one man show O is gone. Lear looked ok, but not enough to win a championship. Seems like we've missed a lot in recruiting at the skill positions.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:What do you consider as being "turned around?" Winning 10 games? Winning the Coastal? Winning the ACC? Or being a legit contender for the MNC?

I don't see us doing the latter 2 for probably more than a decade. Will take a fresh new coach with a 21st century approach to offense (i.e. someone like a Chip Kelly becoming the head coach). Not sure VT will spend the $ to get a big time coach, but a lot depends on who the new AD will be.
awesome guy wrote:Our one man show O is gone. Lear looked ok, but not enough to win a championship. Seems like we've missed a lot in recruiting at the skill positions.
Good point. I consider filling that cursed empty trophy case as turned around. Or at least being more physical than PAC 10 teams.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:What do you consider as being "turned around?" Winning 10 games? Winning the Coastal? Winning the ACC? Or being a legit contender for the MNC?

Good point. I consider filling that cursed empty trophy case as turned around. Or at least being more physical than PAC 10 teams.
I am really torn on what to do. A wholesale coaching change has, IMHO, a greater than 50% chance of failure. Our school always seems to go cheap, so we will pay peanuts and hope we don't get a monkey.

What I will not accept, is a team that is a fraud, ranked around #13 mid season only because we are 6-1 where we beat GT, BC, and a few fcs schools. We then play the big boys and we are exposed.

I don't think short of a miracle we will ever win an MNC. The SEC schools will continue to win 4 out of 5 maybe.

I think Beamer should do this.

2014- let's make progress and go up from 8-5 and get another good recruiting class
2015- in the hunt it win the ACC, get another good class
2016- win ACC, BCS bowl victory, get another good class

At this point, Beamers contract is up and we decide what to do from a strong position.

I think a wholesale coaching change, as many want, could make us as irrelevant as NC State for a long time.

Be

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Time...we got some darn good coaches now they're going to need time to rebuild an offense that, shame on CFB, has been completely ignored and allowed to rot on the vine.

Grimes gets his guys on the O-line and from there we'll see a huge improvement.

Those who expected the Triumvirate to come in and in 1 year right an "O" that was/is an inexcusable mess were/are delusional.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Major Kong wrote:Time...we got some darn good coaches now they're going to need time to rebuild an offense that, shame on CFB, has been completely ignored and allowed to rot on the vine.

Those who expected the Triumvirate to come in and in 1 year right an "O" that was/is an inexcusable mess were/are delusional.

That's the problem I see. Lightning struck when Vick came to Blacksburg. his presence leap-frogged the program into national status over night. The problem is, Beamer hasn't done anything with the fruits that exposure brought the program. We've wasted talent because Beamer/Administration wouldn't hire a real OC (for whatever reason).

We ALWAYS look like a stumbling drunkard on offense. I see teams that have less talent look more disciplined than we do on offense. All of the misses we've had over the years has served the program poorly on the recruiting trail I'm afraid. I hope that Loeffler/Grimes can haul in some better athletes.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieJoe wrote:
Major Kong wrote:Time...we got some darn good coaches now they're going to need time to rebuild an offense that, shame on CFB, has been completely ignored and allowed to rot on the vine.

That's the problem I see. Lightning struck when Vick came to Blacksburg. his presence leap-frogged the program into national status over night. The problem is, Beamer hasn't done anything with the fruits that exposure brought the program. We've wasted talent because Beamer/Administration wouldn't hire a real OC (for whatever reason).

We ALWAYS look like a stumbling drunkard on offense. I see teams that have less talent look more disciplined than we do on offense. All of the misses we've had over the years has served the program poorly on the recruiting trail I'm afraid. I hope that Loeffler/Grimes can haul in some better athletes.

Nothing personal, Joe. Because I see a LOT of people saying what you just did. So, I'm not slamming you...but I do want to slam the notion. re: "Vick".

Yes. Vick was indeed a once-in-a-lifetime player.
HOWEVER.

We beat TX in a big bowl game before Mr. Vick had even agreed to play here.
And we beat a TX team that had one of the best RBs to ever play the game.

Also before Vick, we put the #1 overall pick into the league.
Vick was super for us.
But we aren't where we are, only because of Vick.
Beamer has had a lot more to do with it, IMHO.

/rant
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

Nothing personal, Joe. Because I see a LOT of people saying what you just did. So, I'm not slamming you...but I do want to slam the notion. re: "Vick".

Yes. Vick was indeed a once-in-a-lifetime player.
HOWEVER.

We beat TX in a big bowl game before Mr. Vick had even agreed to play here.
And we beat a TX team that had one of the best RBs to ever play the game.

Also before Vick, we put the #1 overall pick into the league.
Vick was super for us.
But we aren't where we are, only because of Vick.
Beamer has had a lot more to do with it, IMHO.

/rant
yep. Beamer's recruiting, that 95 Sugar Bowl win, etc are what brought Vick to VT in the first place. I think Cornell Brown was a much about it too because he was the first big time recruit to pick VT in the modern era. I may be wrong about this, but I think Bruce Smith was a diamond in the rough type of recruit. Turned into a super stud in college, but wasn't highly recruited out of HS. Vick was a legit 5 star recruit that picked VT because we were an emerging team and so on the radar of people like that. While Vick was a top 5 HS recruit, Ronald Curry was no.1 and taking away attention, so we got lucky too. Plus his style of play was unconventional and risky back then. He changed the game as every program wants a MV for their QB now. Back then though, everyone wanted 6'5 pocket passers like Drunkenmiller!