who else is fired up for FB season?

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
RiverguyVT

who else is fired up for FB season?

Post by RiverguyVT »

I am.

I fear having my expectations re: offense inflated, only to be crushed.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: who else is fired up for FB season?

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:I am.

starting to get there, but awesome fishing is stealing football's thunder at this point. It's going to suck next month when I have to choose between the two. It often ends with the game DVD'd while listening on the radio while fishing.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

I can't recall a year when I was less fired up at this point in the year...
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I am every year, I may have to miss the darn ecu game at lane due to the wife having a horse charity ride that day and me having to transport her obstacle course items over to the event for her... grrrrr. But it depends on how well Brewer does as QB, we have lots of talent and if the OL is shaping up as good as it sounds we could be surprising a lot of folks this year. And the future is very bright with the guys we have here now at QB

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:and if the OL is shaping up as good as it sounds we could be surprising a lot of folks this year.
I can't help but point out how familiar that sounds. I'm guessing great o-line in August leads to terrible o-line and September and somewhat serviceable o-line by November.

Here's hoping that story changes as the coaches have more time.
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

EVERY team has issues with OL, we missed on some recruits and it was not an emphasis for a few years..... we have paid the price for that but with the renewed emphasis on it on the recruiting trail and possibly fewer misses and flame outs they will come thru. We will always be a defense dominated team tho and that is a winning program but we have a lot of talent on O and more coming so IMO we get back to the top 10 in the nation in the next few years
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:and if the OL is shaping up as good as it sounds we could be surprising a lot of folks this year.
I can't help but point out how familiar that sounds. I'm guessing great o-line in August leads to terrible o-line and September and somewhat serviceable o-line by November.

TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:EVERY team has issues with OL, we missed on some recruits and it was not an emphasis for a few years..... we have paid the price for that but with the renewed emphasis on it on the recruiting trail and possibly fewer misses and flame outs they will come thru. We will always be a defense dominated team tho and that is a winning program but we have a lot of talent on O and more coming so IMO we get back to the top 10 in the nation in the next few years
TheH2 wrote:

I loved the coaching hires for that very reason (OL) but you have to at least chuckle at the repetitive nature of our I hopes for the season. O-line looks great, they've turned a corner. We've had some injuries, but this year blah blah blah. It's funny.
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

our problems are similar to others, how hard is it in college ball, bama gets their pick of any 5 * guy they want... and they did not even play in the mnc game last year
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:EVERY team has issues with OL, we missed on some recruits and it was not an emphasis for a few years..... we have paid the price for that but with the renewed emphasis on it on the recruiting trail and possibly fewer misses and flame outs they will come thru. We will always be a defense dominated team tho and that is a winning program but we have a lot of talent on O and more coming so IMO we get back to the top 10 in the nation in the next few years
TheH2 wrote:

I loved the coaching hires for that very reason (OL) but you have to at least chuckle at the repetitive nature of our I hopes for the season. O-line looks great, they've turned a corner. We've had some injuries, but this year blah blah blah. It's funny.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:

I'm about where I was last year. But there are different forces keeping me from getting excited this year:

1) EA sports did not release a college football game because of the lawsuit. Thanks for nothing whoever sued EA sports.
2) We're not getting much in the way of media coverage since practices and scrimmages are closed.
3) There's really no rational reason to think our offense will be improved. We're going to have a new QB, and even if one of our frosh RB's are a stud, they are still a frosh.
4) I'm already expecting a shellacking at the horse shoe, the question is, how bad will it be? And of course it will just further the perception that VT can't win the big game. But to be fair, Ohio St has an all-world defensive line coming back + Braxton Miller. Meanwhile, we have a new QB and very questionable OL. Not the formula for winning AT Coumbus.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Of late, I really have a hard time getting into fball at all, including VT, while the weather is still nice. I'll catch a few games after it turns cold, and will DVR in the meantime (and watch if we win).

We are entering a great time for golf.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Of late, I really have a hard time getting into fball at all, including VT, while the weather is still nice. I'll catch a few games after it turns cold, and will DVR in the meantime (and watch if we win).

We are entering a great time for golf.
I'm kind of blase' about it as well. I guess I'm hoping for improvement this year on offense. I think we have to give the new OC at least 4 seasons to get his own players and system in. But honesty, as much as I like Frank and what he's done for the program (from where we used to be), I don't see him as keeping up with the game as it stands now. So I don't see us progressing to the level of an FSU.

And, as a Hokie and an Atlanta fan, I'm getting accustomed to disappointment. 8-)
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I am so ready for football I am watching the cowboys/ravens pre season game just hoping to see Tyrod and Ryan Williams. Romo still sucks ;p
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Touchdown Ryan Williams! He looked great on the last drive.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Less enthused than usual, for sure. For me, it's a combination of youth sports (I coach a lot) taking over my weekends, coupled, admittedly, with a couple of down years leading to lower expectations. But even with lower expectations, I think we could make the ACC C'ship game. It would be nice to win the Coastal again.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Hokie5150 wrote:

Seriously?
I'm more fired up than I was last year, easily.
Year before, too, for that matter.
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

BG Hokie wrote:

Less enthused than usual, for sure. For me, it's a combination of youth sports (I coach a lot) taking over my weekends, coupled, admittedly, with a couple of down years leading to lower expectations. But even with lower expectations, I think we could make the ACC C'ship game. It would be nice to win the Coastal again.
coaching youth sports is something I'll always look back upon with great fondness. It takes a LOT of time, a lot of energy. It is a great way to bond with one's kids. On the other hand, I seem to recall always being glad when any particular season was over. :)
Salute the Marines