Pinot Noir Wine Review Thread - 2012 Williams Selyem

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Pinot Noir Wine Review Thread - 2012 Williams Selyem

Post by ip_law-hokie »

This bold, if not scandalous Pinot comes to us from the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County, and is flagship blend for the Drake Estate vineyard. High tannin levels and a 14.7 abv accompany a rich cherry flavor with crème brie and earthy finishing notes. Would pair well with pork or lamb, but its minerality can also be enjoyed with heartier meats like foie gras. A perfect accompaniment for halftime cheeses at your favorite football stadium tailgate.

Wine spectator rates this blend as a 92, a very fair, if not modest score according to this palette.

* This thread will be one in a series to raise the level of discourse on the board.
Last edited by ip_law-hokie on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: Pinot Noir Wine Review Thread - 2012 Williams Selyem

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:This bold, if not scandalous Pinot comes to us from the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County, and is flagship blend for the Drake Estate vineyard. Hi tannin levels and a 14.7 abv accompany a rich cherry flavor with crème brie and earthy finishing notes. Would pair well with pork or lamb, but its minerality can also be enjoyed with heartier meats like foie gras.

Wine spectator rates this blend as a 92, a very fair, if not modest score according to this palette.

* This thread will be one in a series to raise the level of discourse on the board.
Take it to the uvghey board.....NYeck.....
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:This bold, if not scandalous Pinot comes to us from the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County, and is flagship blend for the Drake Estate vineyard. Hi tannin levels and a 14.7 abv accompany a rich cherry flavor with crème brie and earthy finishing notes. Would pair well with pork or lamb, but its minerality can also be enjoyed with heartier meats like foie gras.

Take it to the uvghey board.....NYeck.....
That worked well IP! :)

But, good choice. Williams Selyem is always good. But, if you're looking from something more budget friendly, try Castle Rock, another Russian River pinot. For the price of one Selyem, you can get 5-6 bottles of Castle Rock.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

You need to mention how it mixes with colon blow in your tasting notes.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

i'm surprised someone as enlightened as you would even consider foie gras.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Pinot grigio is superior in my opinion, chiefly from it going great with seafood.

AGs awesome blowfish recipe right here. It's pretty much exactly chicken chardonnay. Just substitute blowfish for the chicken and pinot grigio for chardonnay. Brown the fish, add mushrooms, etc exactly as any chicken chardonnay recipe. One extra note is it comes out better if you leave the backbone on the fish and present it as you would jumbo shrimp. So after you cut off the head, just don't cut all the way through, cut till you go through the spine and stop, then peel the skin off the body and the gut sack will stay with the skin. And that's it, your meat should be about 4 or 6 times the size of a big shrimp and have a similar look. You can thank me latter.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:This bold, if not scandalous Pinot comes to us from the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County, and is flagship blend for the Drake Estate vineyard. High tannin levels and a 14.7 abv accompany a rich cherry flavor with crème brie and earthy finishing notes. Would pair well with pork or lamb, but its minerality can also be enjoyed with heartier meats like foie gras. A perfect accompaniment for halftime cheeses at your favorite football stadium tailgate.

I prefer oreos in milk, yum tasty
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:i'm surprised someone as enlightened as you would even consider foie gras.
Next time you are in NY you can take me to a nice French restaurant, and we can respectfully discuss over our meals and Pinot.

That Williams Selyem is going to cost us 200 at a restaurant, so bring extra cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

ip_law-hokie wrote:This bold, if not scandalous Pinot comes to us from the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County, and is flagship blend for the Drake Estate vineyard. High tannin levels and a 14.7 abv accompany a rich cherry flavor with crème brie and earthy finishing notes. Would pair well with pork or lamb, but its minerality can also be enjoyed with heartier meats like foie gras. A perfect accompaniment for halftime cheeses at your favorite football stadium tailgate.

For the Beer Drinkers in the crowd, I recommend the Blue Mountain Dark Hollow. Despite being brewed in close proximity to Charlottesville, this bourbon barrel aged stout is a full-bodied, good tasting beer. It pairs well with a good steak, nachos, or a 2nd dark hollow.

For NOVA folks, you can purchase Dark Hollow at your local Wegmans or Total Wine stores. I also recommend Blue Mountain brewery as a good lunch stop on your trip to your next VT football game. Great view, good nachos, and beer.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:i'm surprised someone as enlightened as you would even consider foie gras.
Next time you are in NY you can take me to a nice French restaurant, and we can respectfully discuss over our meals and Pinot.

That Williams Selyem is going to cost us 200 at a restaurant, so bring extra cash.

Us rednecks eat better and on the cheap. I'd have a taste off between your duck liver and $200 wine vs. blackened redfish and blackberry wine made in 5 gallon bucket.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Us rednecks eat better and on the cheap. I'd have a taste off between your duck liver and $200 wine vs. blackened redfish and blackberry wine made in 5 gallon bucket.
All of the above are delicious (except your redneck sweet wine). Why not drink welch's with your fish?

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

All of the above are delicious (except your redneck sweet wine). Why not drink welch's with your fish?

Because it's not nearly as good as homemade blackberry wine.

I'd kill for some redfish. All I'm catching is striper now.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Meh...the geese line up to have their gullets filled. Foie Gras is way, way down on my GAF scale.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

There's a time and place for sweet wine, but with a well prepared redfish is not the place.

This sort of behavior leads the actions Dave is talking about. At least drink a Rose. (That's pronounced Rose-a in French)

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Time for you to take a road trip. Not sure how Hatteras is this time of year, but there's almost always reds there. We just got back from Ft. Myers area of FL, and the reds were really biting in the mangroves and Charlotte Harbor. Only pisser there is the 1 per person per day bag limit.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Time for you to take a road trip. Not sure how Hatteras is this time of year, but there's almost always reds there. We just got back from Ft. Myers area of FL, and the reds were really biting in the mangroves and Charlotte Harbor. Only pisser there is the 1 per person per day bag limit.
How many did you catch?

I have some local ideas I'm trying out this weekend to find them. For whatever reason, the grass isn't that thick this year and so they're not in the normal places. Probably the fertilizer containment stuff is working and eliminating habit. Then again, there was a 5 foot shark feeding in one of my holes and he may have gobbled them up or scared them off.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

not much on the pinot, but make it a 16 year old lagvulin and i'm in.

i actually like foie gras, but only have it on occasion.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

this is true. southern food, in general, is better than northern food. i've been to some fantastic restaurants in the north, but i'll take a top end meal in the south every day and twice on sundays.