Katrina vs the current La disaster is one of the most stark

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Katrina vs the current La disaster is one of the most stark

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

examples of media corruption. Note I did not say "bias." I said corruption. This is now moved way beyond bias. Our media is more dishonest and less trustworthy that Pravda was during the Soviet Union. Our media is not formerly run by the government, but it might as well be run by the Democrat party since all they do is collect and disseminate Democrat party talking points. And the people that consume/believe this garbage are the low info Democrat voter.

Of course Trump goes there today and I doubt the media will barely mention it on the TV network newscasts.
=====================

Here’s How George Bush Responded To Louisiana Compared To Obama Today
Kaitlan Collins
3:13 PM 08/19/2016

George W. Bush was chastised for the way he handled Hurricane Katrina, but his successor has seen none of the same backlash while golfing in Martha’s Vineyard as floodwaters ravage Louisiana.

In 2005, Bush was criticized as careless and out of touch because it took him three days to visit New Orleans.

During “A Concert for Hurricane Relief,” Kanye West shocked the world when he said that “George Bush didn’t care about black people.”

The Washington Post labeled it “the worst moment” in Bush’s entire presidency.

“I don’t think anybody can be prepared for the vastness of the destruction,” Bush said while touring the wreckage in 2005.

“You can look at a picture, but until you sit on that doorstep of a house that used to be, or stand by the rubble, you just can’t imagine it.”

Even Obama himself criticized Bush at the time.

Completing this poll entitles you to Daily Caller news updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
“I can say from personal experience how frustrating, how unconscionable it is, that it has been so difficult to get medical supplies to those in need quickly enough,” Obama — then a senator — said from the Senate floor.

“If there’s any bright light that has come out of this disaster, it’s the degree to which ordinary Americans have responded with speed and determination even as their government has responded with unconscionable ineptitude.”

WATCH:
Now, 11 years later, at least 13 people are dead and more than 40,000 have been displaced from their homes in one of the biggest natural disasters to hit the area since Katrina. Over 85,000 people have applied for federal disaster aid.

On Sunday, the president declared a major disaster in the state and ordered federal aid to the area.

Then on Monday he took a break from fine-dining in Martha’s Vineyard to raise money for Hillary Clinton at a Democratic fundraiser in the area.

And on Thursday, he worked on his swing at a golf course in one of the richest zip codes in the country, alongside pals Marty Nesbitt, Alonzo Mourning and Cyrus Walker.

There are no plans for him to end his vacation in Massachusetts early. He is scheduled to visit the area on Aug. 23, 11 days after the flooding began.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/19/heres ... ama-today/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
133743Hokie

Re: Katrina vs the current La disaster is one of the most st

Post by 133743Hokie »

The press is in the Dems pockets and they all know it
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:examples of media corruption. Note I did not say "bias." I said corruption. This is now moved way beyond bias. Our media is more dishonest and less trustworthy that Pravda was during the Soviet Union. Our media is not formerly run by the government, but it might as well be run by the Democrat party since all they do is collect and disseminate Democrat party talking points. And the people that consume/believe this garbage are the low info Democrat voter.

Of course Trump goes there today and I doubt the media will barely mention it on the TV network newscasts.
=====================

Kaitlan Collins

George W. Bush was chastised for the way he handled Hurricane Katrina, but his successor has seen none of the same backlash while golfing in Martha’s Vineyard as floodwaters ravage Louisiana.

In 2005, Bush was criticized as careless and out of touch because it took him three days to visit New Orleans.

During “A Concert for Hurricane Relief,” Kanye West shocked the world when he said that “George Bush didn’t care about black people.”

“I don’t think anybody can be prepared for the vastness of the destruction,” Bush said while touring the wreckage in 2005.

“You can look at a picture, but until you sit on that doorstep of a house that used to be, or stand by the rubble, you just can’t imagine it.”

Completing this poll entitles you to Daily Caller news updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
“I can say from personal experience how frustrating, how unconscionable it is, that it has been so difficult to get medical supplies to those in need quickly enough,” Obama — then a senator — said from the Senate floor.

“If there’s any bright light that has come out of this disaster, it’s the degree to which ordinary Americans have responded with speed and determination even as their government has responded with unconscionable ineptitude.”

WATCH:
Now, 11 years later, at least 13 people are dead and more than 40,000 have been displaced from their homes in one of the biggest natural disasters to hit the area since Katrina. Over 85,000 people have applied for federal disaster aid.

On Sunday, the president declared a major disaster in the state and ordered federal aid to the area.

Then on Monday he took a break from fine-dining in Martha’s Vineyard to raise money for Hillary Clinton at a Democratic fundraiser in the area.

And on Thursday, he worked on his swing at a golf course in one of the richest zip codes in the country, alongside pals Marty Nesbitt, Alonzo Mourning and Cyrus Walker.

There are no plans for him to end his vacation in Massachusetts early. He is scheduled to visit the area on Aug. 23, 11 days after the flooding began.

While I agree that Obama is getting a pass on visiting, do you really think Katrina and the current flood are similar?
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:examples of media corruption. Note I did not say "bias." I said corruption. This is now moved way beyond bias. Our media is more dishonest and less trustworthy that Pravda was during the Soviet Union. Our media is not formerly run by the government, but it might as well be run by the Democrat party since all they do is collect and disseminate Democrat party talking points. And the people that consume/believe this garbage are the low info Democrat voter.

=====================

Kaitlan Collins

WATCH:

While I agree that Obama is getting a pass on visiting, do you really think Katrina and the current flood are similar?
I'm with you. The scale of Katrina and the loss of life was a bit more vast. Obama will always get a pass with the press.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:

=====================

Kaitlan Collins

WATCH:

In terms of the scale? No of course not. But its the same area being impacted. The same type of people - which was a HUGE deal during Katrina. There are coffins floating down the street and many people are dead.

But the other difference is that Bush actually did help. He did visit. And yet all we heard from the media was how the whole thing was his fault. Obama just continues to play golf and no one holds him accountable. Same thing when WV had their floods - it took him forever to even declare a state of emergency so FEMA could help. Did the media care? Nope.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

=====================

Kaitlan Collins

WATCH:

In terms of the scale? No of course not. But its the same area being impacted. The same type of people - which was a HUGE deal during Katrina. There are coffins floating down the street and many people are dead.

But the other difference is that Bush actually did help. He did visit. And yet all we heard from the media was how the whole thing was his fault. Obama just continues to play golf and no one holds him accountable. Same thing when WV had their floods - it took him forever to even declare a state of emergency so FEMA could help. Did the media care? Nope.
Maybe the other difference is that help was in place this time, before the flood started, not days after. Which may be why the death toll is 13, not 1,800? The response to this flood has been timely and meaningful. The complete opposite of the clusterF from Katrina.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote:

=====================

Kaitlan Collins

WATCH:

I think the criticisms of Bush were stupid. I also think payback can be a bitch sometimes.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

=====================

Kaitlan Collins

WATCH:

Maybe the other difference is that help was in place this time, before the flood started, not days after. Which may be why the death toll is 13, not 1,800? The response to this flood has been timely and meaningful. The complete opposite of the clusterF from Katrina.
People were given ample warning to clear out before Katrina. After Katrina, I imagine people in LA are quite more vigilant in this regard.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

=====================

Kaitlan Collins

WATCH:

Naw, scale is bigger with this one. But it's NO with mayor Chocolate City goofing up the local response.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

These guys..... :lol:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (89.67 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

How epic an event is an arbitrary definition.

Hurricane Katrina was a heller event whose effects are still being felt in Louisiana & Mississippi today. It was much more widespread and it deserves having it's name retired.

The recent rains in the Baton Rouge area were much more localized BUT these storms exceeded 1,000 year storm events by magnitudes. Talk by NOAA now is just how is this event going to be assessed. Will it be treated as a 1,000 year event or will it be treated on the high end of normal (think 24hr 10 year or 100 year event). This could become an expensive as hell decision to be made. Will this be the start of a new weather/climate epoch :?:

The good thing is the State of Louisiana and local parishes learned their lessons from Katrina and took them to heart this time. Emergency Management Systems ran more efficiently, responders were better prepared and the system on the local scale did much better. It's a damn shame that several EMS folks had to spend some time in the hoosegow for the crapshow that happened in '05.

As I understand the flooding is still ongoing and will for some time...hopefully though the worse is over but that damn Murphy was an optimist.

As far as our current POTUS meh. I really do think a press conference should have been held on Martha's Vineyard expressing concern and support but it's not who he is. FTR I always thought the criticism of Bush was bullschitt. As a long time responder and emergency response manager we would rather the politicians just stay out of the hot zones...way too many distractions.

In all honesty right now the reassuring has to come from the governor and mayor at this point.

My only last thing is that mean ole karma has jumped up and bit Obama in the butt...'tis what happens when you interject yourself into events that you know nothing about as in 2005...hey wait a damn minute what happened this time :?: :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Well the difference is....bush made that hurricane hit.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

As far as our current POTUS meh. I really do think a press conference should have been held on Martha's Vineyard expressing concern and support but it's not who he is. FTR I always thought the criticism of Bush was bullschitt. As a long time responder and emergency response manager we would rather the politicians just stay out of the hot zones...way too many distractions.

In all honesty right now the reassuring has to come from the governor and mayor at this point.

My only last thing is that mean ole karma has jumped up and bit Obama in the butt...'tis what happens when you interject yourself into events that you know nothing about as in 2005...hey wait a damn minute what happened this time :?: :mrgreen:
Agree fully. I'm really glad about the karma. He's a douche and deserves it......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:Well the difference is....bush made that hurricane hit.
Cheney and his Halliburton weather machine, couple with the Blackhawk helicopters dropping bombs on the levies.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

=====================

Kaitlan Collins

WATCH:

Agree. It appears state and local leaders are responsive this time as opposed to Katrina where they were frozen, dumbstruck, and incapable of requesting help.