Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

The next Puerto Rico screw up...

Post by Major Kong »

I always hated dealing with gubment contracts...especially Federal contracts and bids.

The contract seems about right to me considering the circumstances. I honestly think the CEO PREPA screwed the pooch by signing the contract and are now looking for a way out.

Here's What's In That $300 Million Whitefish Contract

Puerto Rico: Whitefish energy grid deal to be scrapped

One thing that folks are griping about concerns the "mutual agreements" you'll find in these type of agreements but because PREPA filed bankruptcy then that ain't happening.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

cwtcr hokie

Re: The next Puerto Rico screw up...

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Major Kong wrote:I always hated dealing with gubment contracts...especially Federal contracts and bids.

The contract seems about right to me considering the circumstances. I honestly think the CEO PREPA screwed the pooch by signing the contract and are now looking for a way out.

Here's What's In That $300 Million Whitefish Contract

Puerto Rico: Whitefish energy grid deal to be scrapped

One thing that folks are griping about concerns the "mutual agreements" you'll find in these type of agreements but because PREPA filed bankruptcy then that ain't happening.

Morons in charge!!! Lets see, you are on an island with probably a dozen power line bucket truck types. To fix your power grid you have to bring in a bunch of trucks and trailers and equipment and it can't be driven to the island, it must be transported via boat as air transport would be hugely expensive. Then you have to bring in a whole bunch of power line workers, all them needing daily per diem and lodging and flights home every month ( I am guessing as most travel workers like that get the chance to go home some, company pays for it). So what you have is a very expensive operation so the morons in charge may cancel the Whitefish contract and find out a bigger company will charge them much more. Great job!!
FireFuente
Alma Mater: VT

Post by FireFuente »

The US should have cut Puerto Rico loose and given them their independence back when they first started to go bankrupt (1-2 years ago).
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Basically PREPA signed a contract with Whitefish for them to be the contractor to secure subcontractors.

I've actually read where folks are blaming this on Trump...I'm trying to grok their reasoning.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Major Kong wrote:Basically PREPA signed a contract with Whitefish for them to be the contractor to secure subcontractors.

I've actually read where folks are blaming this on Trump...I'm trying to grok their reasoning.
some deep searching finds that one of the two guys that run whitefish knows Rick Perry and some other guy at one of the federal levels. So there is that huuuugggeee connection to Trump and the only way they got the bid was cuz of Trump. When in reality they may have underbid not knowing what they were getting into thus they had the lowest bid and not many people are dumb enough to try and make a profit on that crap project.