Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: The gov race.

Post by ip_law-hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:As I said above... it doesn't matter who wins. The GA isn't going to do anything that needs to be done. I'm likely voting for Hyra. But I still may vote for Gillespie.
Actually it does matter who wins.

We have one less GOP seat in congress because we have a democrat governor. When the courts overruled Virginia's congressional districts, the legislature redrew them to comply with the court's demands. But McAuliffe vetoed the bill. The end result was that the court redrew the districts itself and cut Randy Forbes out of his seat. We now have one of the worst and most leftist state senators as our congressman because of it.
Also matters when the governor sign an EO allowing convicted felons to vote.
You mean convicted felons who have served their time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:As I said above... it doesn't matter who wins. The GA isn't going to do anything that needs to be done. I'm likely voting for Hyra. But I still may vote for Gillespie.

We have one less GOP seat in congress because we have a democrat governor. When the courts overruled Virginia's congressional districts, the legislature redrew them to comply with the court's demands. But McAuliffe vetoed the bill. The end result was that the court redrew the districts itself and cut Randy Forbes out of his seat. We now have one of the worst and most leftist state senators as our congressman because of it.

If that's your argument then I'm sure you are in favor of felons who have served their sentence to have their 2A rights restored as well right?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

If that's your argument then I'm sure you are in favor of felons who have served their sentence to have their 2A rights restored as well right?

Like, I'm totally sure...
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Non-violent felons, sure.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:

But...Cuccinelli had a (historically accurate) lapel pin without exposed boobies on it! Also, he accurately interpreted the VA Constitution!
Attila T Hun

Post by Attila T Hun »

FireFuente wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
FireFuente wrote:Meh, that article is 100% right but it doesn't matter.

My prediction: Northam wins easily by 3-5 points as NoVA continues to transform the state into Maryland.
After documents came out showing that he coordinated with the "Latino Victory Fund" on that racist fear-mongering disgusting ad? It would be a black mark on America if he wins after that.
Well then take the cap off your sharpie and get ready.

Your typical middle class (white) Democrat voter (like the ones that will put Northam over the top) believe they have a moral obligation to vote Democrat. Republicans are racist/sexist/homophobic/evil so voting for Gillespie is not even an option.
There's a reason they're called low info voters and why Dems go after them
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

The weather is supposed to be nasty tomorrow in these parts...could affect turnout.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:It doesn't matter if Northam wins. The General Assembly is going to stay firmly GOP for the next few decades.
Ummmm.....looks like the Dems now control the Va House of Delegates. Still feeling good about the future of Va?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Virginia has finally become like Maryland... the only places that vote consistently Dem in Maryland are PG county and Baltimore city- the two largest population areas. Well, NOVA, tidewater and Richmond are deep blue now, so VA is done for the republicans- done. Simple numbers game. Virginia will vote democrat for the next 60 years.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

You're correct... convicted felons are typically democrats. Your side has that going for them at least.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:Virginia has finally become like Maryland... the only places that vote consistently Dem in Maryland are PG county and Baltimore city- the two largest population areas. Well, NOVA, tidewater and Richmond are deep blue now, so VA is done for the republicans- done. Simple numbers game. Virginia will vote democrat for the next 60 years.
Its really one of the saddest stories in American politics. Virginia was once one of the most admired states for its business friendly climate and conservative principles. Now it seems its been flooded with Yankees, illegals, and liberal elites (especially in NoVa). Maryland's cancer has spread across the Potomac.

And here's the words of Virginia's very own clown Senator:
“You have taken one of the reddest states in the country and you have turned it into not just a battleground, not just purple - you have turned it into a blue state,” Mr. Kaine told Democratic activists at Northam’s election night party.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... irginia-r/
That is what you call a tragedy.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:Virginia has finally become like Maryland... the only places that vote consistently Dem in Maryland are PG county and Baltimore city- the two largest population areas. Well, NOVA, tidewater and Richmond are deep blue now, so VA is done for the republicans- done. Simple numbers game. Virginia will vote democrat for the next 60 years.
Its really one of the saddest stories in American politics. Virginia was once one of the most admired states for its business friendly climate and conservative principles. Now it seems its been flooded with Yankees, illegals, and liberal elites (especially in NoVa). Maryland's cancer has spread across the Potomac.

“You have taken one of the reddest states in the country and you have turned it into not just a battleground, not just purple - you have turned it into a blue state,” Mr. Kaine told Democratic activists at Northam’s election night party.

Bound to happen.. Maryland- the Rockville/270 technology corridor got too expensive to do business in for government contractors, so they moved to Nova - Tyson's quickly spread to Herndon- which not long ago was rural, and now that has spread to loudon- which was the boon docks 15 years ago.. so now you have a bunch of well paid/cleared, young government defense contractors and their bosses who are imports from NE colleges doing the voting. These folks have enough money and time to "feel bad" about lower income families, gays, etc, etc. They are liberal- all there is to it. Add to that "sanctuaries" for illegals and all of the landscaping that wealthy people need and office parks need and there is a TON of work in NOVA for Hispanic people- legal or not- and they vote democrat - even though they are typically conservative socially and religious, but the Dems have done a superb job painting republicans as racists in America- you can thank Barrack Obama for that one. So NOVA is THE population center now- see LA type traffic. Add Richmond- always purple- and now vastly growing tidewater- again see military contractors.. not hard to figure out. Virginia will be Red for 60 years.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Just noticed that the Republican Lt Gov and AG candidates both received more votes than Gillespie. What a shirt show.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Bound to happen.. Maryland- the Rockville/270 technology corridor got too expensive to do business in for government contractors, so they moved to Nova - Tyson's quickly spread to Herndon- which not long ago was rural, and now that has spread to loudon- which was the boon docks 15 years ago.. so now you have a bunch of well paid/cleared, young government defense contractors and their bosses who are imports from NE colleges doing the voting. These folks have enough money and time to "feel bad" about lower income families, gays, etc, etc. They are liberal- all there is to it. Add to that "sanctuaries" for illegals and all of the landscaping that wealthy people need and office parks need and there is a TON of work in NOVA for Hispanic people- legal or not- and they vote democrat - even though they are typically conservative socially and religious, but the Dems have done a superb job painting republicans as racists in America- you can thank Barrack Obama for that one. So NOVA is THE population center now- see LA type traffic. Add Richmond- always purple- and now vastly growing tidewater- again see military contractors.. not hard to figure out. Virginia will be Red for 60 years.
Can't under-emphasize legal immigration's impact to Virginia as well. The immigrants coming to VA are overwhelmingly "rent seekers" and broke for the democrats by a 60pt margin. This is why liberals are so desperate to pack them in.

Speaking of the Rockville/270 corridor - I heard that Montgomery County just passed a $15 minimum wage.....
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

USN_Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Can't under-emphasize legal immigration's impact to Virginia as well. The immigrants coming to VA are overwhelmingly "rent seekers" and broke for the democrats by a 60pt margin. This is why liberals are so desperate to pack them in.

Speaking of the Rockville/270 corridor - I heard that Montgomery County just passed a $15 minimum wage.....
Why not?- Montgomery County is already home to the 5 cent plastic bag tax.. yes, if you buy a sandwich from a deli, the bag to carry it in is an extra 5 cents - per bag. And since the average home price in Montgomery County is a gazillion dollars, all the 15 dollar minimum wage is going to do is costs some high school kids jobs. You can't live in Montgomery county on 15 an hour...not even close.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

You forgot to add in the increasing percentage of low socio-economic voters in the urban areas of Richmond and tidewater that are a core constituent of the democratic party. Richmond is also now attracting a millennial population. The golden crescent of I-95 South thru I-64 East is the population and economic center of Virginia and it is liberal.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

disagree. VA is still a conservative state.

yesterday's vote was a pure anti-trump vote. it is not indicative of the makeup of the state.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:

yesterday's vote was a pure anti-trump vote. it is not indicative of the makeup of the state.
Yes, it was an anti-Trump vote in that it brought out democratic voters in huge numbers, hence the swing in the legislature. But Virginia is NOT a conservative state anymore. Population-wise VA is now dominated by the NOVA to RIC to Tidewater corridor. The makeup of that group is now dominated by transplanted northeasterners, government workers, government contractors, immigrants, millennials, and the urban poor. Most were not born or raised in VA. All are staunchly democrat, and what they want has nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with a liberal/progressive agenda. They want to remake their "new home" in the fashion of the one they left.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

HvilleHokie wrote:

A "redneck" depicted in a truck looking to "hunt and kill" a girl in a Hijab would have zero "traction" in a "conservative" state- zero. But, NOVA is obviously a different animal. So parts of Virginia are very much NOT conservative.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

A "redneck" depicted in a truck looking to "hunt and kill" a girl in a Hijab would have zero "traction" in a "conservative" state- zero. But, NOVA is obviously a different animal. So parts of Virginia are very much NOT conservative.
Could you imagine the liberal outcry if Guillespe ran an ad about what really happened in the case where a Muslim girl was hunted and killed?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... gally.html

HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

that ad did northram no favors.

but you are right that there are parts of Virginia that are not conservative. but overall, the state still leans conservative.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:

LOL, come on. The republicans distanced themselves from Trump and paid the price. Would have won/lost a lot less if they ran with Trump as that would have gotten his base out to counter the angry and imported cuckolds voting for the divisive party.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

that ad did northram no favors.

but you are right that there are parts of Virginia that are not conservative. but overall, the state still leans conservative.
Nope, those here for government work now outnumber the producers. We're blue till we become another Detroit.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

HvilleHokie wrote:

Agree. This is the reaction following a presidential election. Dems had a good day across the board. Definitely not smart to make strong conclusions based on that result.
People who know, know.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:

LOL, come on. The republicans distanced themselves from Trump and paid the price. Would have won/lost a lot less if they ran with Trump as that would have gotten his base out to counter the angry and imported cuckolds voting for the divisive party.
Bannon disagrees.

“He’s closed an enthusiasm gap by rallying around the Trump agenda,”
“And I think the big lesson for Tuesday is that, in Gillespie’s case, Trumpism without Trump can show the way forward. If that’s the case, Democrats better be very, very worried.”
People who know, know.