This is why teaching proper speech is important

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

This is why teaching proper speech is important

Post by USN_Hokie »

Seriously though, if the facts are as suggested, people should have been able to understand what he meant.
The suspect told police ‘give me a lawyer dog.’ The court says he wasn’t asking for a lawyer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/tru ... -a-lawyer/
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: This is why teaching proper speech is important

Post by awesome guy »

Duplicate
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

No effing way that holds up under appeal. You don't speak with commas. If a suspect says, "Give me a lawyer, dog," the interview is over and he has invoked his right to counsel.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie CPA wrote:No effing way that holds up under appeal. You don't speak with commas. If a suspect says, "Give me a lawyer, dog," the interview is over and he has invoked his right to counsel.
I have it under "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

Dog should be first word anyway for it to interpreted as the police are. I agree he wins, I'm saying he put himself in this situation by being a moron.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:Seriously though, if the facts are as suggested, people should have been able to understand what he meant.
The suspect told police ‘give me a lawyer dog.’ The court says he wasn’t asking for a lawyer.

Louisiana.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote:Duplicate
Duplicate post dog
Post-dog-e1382258323232.jpg
Post-dog-e1382258323232.jpg (28.92 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
Duplicate post dog
Post-dog-e1382258323232.jpg
Good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Link? I completely missed it
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
It's there if you look. In a (not) shocking development, cwtcr refers to our bill of rights as a "weak technicality."
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Seriously though, if the facts are as suggested, people should have been able to understand what he meant.

Louisiana.
Yep. Louisiana and proper English do not really go together, for anyone.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Neither does Louisiana and constitutional rights go together.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
It's there if you look. In a (not) shocking development, cwtcr refers to our bill of rights as a "weak technicality."
Again for the slow, the issue was wether the guys confession was valid in court due to the lawyer dawg issue, the court case can still go on without his confession, just makes it inadmissable, does not stop the whole case against him unless they have nothing else and decide to drop the charges. But again, my lament was letting a guy go that confesses to assaulting a minor for sex... if you re for that then why even discuss it with you. I know if I did not do anything I would never confess to it, would you?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Again for the slow, the issue was wether the guys confession was valid in court due to the lawyer dawg issue, the court case can still go on without his confession, just makes it inadmissable, does not stop the whole case against him unless they have nothing else and decide to drop the charges. But again, my lament was letting a guy go that confesses to assaulting a minor for sex... if you re for that then why even discuss it with you. I know if I did not do anything I would never confess to it, would you?
First, the appeal court will allow whatever statements were made after the defendant asked for a lawyer, dawg. That is what the article was about.

I don't know what the statements were, but your narrative does not fit the facts that have been published.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:Neither does Louisiana and constitutional rights go together.

Napoleonic code for the win...
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

[/youtube]

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
First, the appeal court will allow whatever statements were made after the defendant asked for a lawyer, dawg. That is what the article was about.

I don't know what the statements were, but your narrative does not fit the facts that have been published.
correct, you were bitching about the courts ruling, my point was even if they disallow whatever he said that does not mean the guy is not going to trial is all. But again, if he is confessing to assaulting a minor in a sexual way I am not really worried if he asked for a lawyer or lawyer dawg. Would you confess to that if you did not do it, I sure would not. Now if he was tortured and then confessed I would have a problem with that confession, but he was not. But it would be great if he gets off and moves in next to you I bet, great neighbor for you
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

correct, you were bitching about the courts ruling, my point was even if they disallow whatever he said that does not mean the guy is not going to trial is all. But again, if he is confessing to assaulting a minor in a sexual way I am not really worried if he asked for a lawyer or lawyer dawg. Would you confess to that if you did not do it, I sure would not. Now if he was tortured and then confessed I would have a problem with that confession, but he was not. But it would be great if he gets off and moves in next to you I bet, great neighbor for you
You really shouldn’t be calling people slow.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

No way this stands
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

RiverguyVT wrote:No way this stands
It's going to be overturned dog
images.jpg
images.jpg (7.28 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

It was the highest court in La that issued the ruling to allow the evidence to be entered.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
It was the highest court in La that issued the ruling to allow the evidence to be entered.

Yowza. Did not read the article, just scanned these posts.
:o
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Yowza. Did not read the article, just scanned these posts.
:o
Louisiana.