CNN: Are the democrats blowing it in Virginia?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

CNN: Are the democrats blowing it in Virginia?

Post by BigDave »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/06/politics/ ... index.html
Northam absolutely botched his position on sanctuary cities in the closing weeks of the race -- insisting that despite his vote to kill a bill in the state Senate that would ban sanctuary cities (even though Virginia doesn't have any!), he actually would have voted in support of the legislation he killed if Virginia did have any sanctuary cities.

Uh, OK.
Good grief, I hadn't heard that one. If we had an honest media, that would be his "I was for the war before I was against it" moment.
Northam's ads -- particularly those he is running in the Washington, DC media market -- feel defensive. In one, he insists that "if Donald Trump is helping Virginia, I'll work with him," an somewhat striking reversal from Northam's insistence that Trump was a "narcissistic maniac" earlier this year.
I saw that ad this morning and was stunned beyond belief. So now Northam says basically the same thing about Trump that Gillespie does.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
CFB Apologist

Re: CNN: Are the democrats blowing it in Virginia?

Post by CFB Apologist »

I still can't believe that in America, there are cities - that collect taxes from Republicans and Democrats alike to fix roads, etc. are legally allowed to actively ignore federal law. It boggles the mind it really does. These cities and counties can vote to ignore federal law and actively participate in hindering enforcement of it. If you would have said it out loud 20 years ago, people would have sent you to an asylum.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:I still can't believe that in America, there are cities - that collect taxes from Republicans and Democrats alike to fix roads, etc. are legally allowed to actively ignore federal law. It boggles the mind it really does. These cities and counties can vote to ignore federal law and actively participate in hindering enforcement of it. If you would have said it out loud 20 years ago, people would have sent you to an asylum.
City/state law so long as it's not unconstitutional should be the trump card. Government should be enforced at the lowest level possible. Localities know better what's best for their communities than the Federal government. That said, sometimes the local law stinks, like it does in this situation of sanctuary cities and ignoring federal law and sometimes it's awesome like it the various cities that are decriminalizing folks who take a marijuana every now and then. Moving within the US is extremely easy, however to find the localities that best align with yourself in terms of a great many things, to include political ideology.
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:I still can't believe that in America, there are cities - that collect taxes from Republicans and Democrats alike to fix roads, etc. are legally allowed to actively ignore federal law. It boggles the mind it really does. These cities and counties can vote to ignore federal law and actively participate in hindering enforcement of it. If you would have said it out loud 20 years ago, people would have sent you to an asylum.
City/state law so long as it's not unconstitutional should be the trump card. Government should be enforced at the lowest level possible. Localities know better what's best for their communities than the Federal government. That said, sometimes the local law stinks, like it does in this situation of sanctuary cities and ignoring federal law and sometimes it's awesome like it the various cities that are decriminalizing folks who take a marijuana every now and then. Moving within the US is extremely easy, however to find the localities that best align with yourself in terms of a great many things, to include political ideology.
So are you saying that a city could pass a law that makes bribery legal and it should supersede Federal or State anti-bribery laws? Or a law to make murder, rape, pedophilia, etc legal?
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

BG Hokie wrote:
Passing laws to repel an invasion is an enumerated power of Congress.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
It think you're missing the concept of federal supremacy, which makes it illegal to ignore federal law, as happens in sanctuary cities.

All that said, VA sometimes gets misrepresented as a sanctuary because we notify about an apprehend illegal alien, but don't detain after their initial arrest issue is taken care of.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

Looks like the Democrats incompetence was out weighed by hate for trump