Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Nov 7th is now Victims of Communism Memorial Day

Post by USN_Hokie »

Democrats hardest hit.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... -communism

Love it. Just sent this to my friend who evacuated Vietnam when the communists took over (big Trump supporter too)
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: Nov 7th is now Victims of Communism Memorial Day

Post by HokieJoe »

Excellent. Should've happened a long time ago.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

In my history class at tech today...history of the balkans, the professor was talking about the huge number of people killed in the name of god or religion. He mentioned the crusades, jihad and other things done allegedly in the name of a monotheist deity. How for example, the bible says that god told ...someone, to kill the inhabitants of ...someplace, since they were not believers. (You can see how i was not a very good student.) He is an excellent teacher imo, but yeah, he is one of those. Not radically or arrogantly, but it comes out.

I reminded him after class that mao tse tung, pol pot, hitler and stalin were atheists and committed more than their share of barbaric acts during their time on earth, arguable more deaths throughout history were done at the command of atheists than by people of faith. He acknowledged that was true and said that communism is a kind of religion as well.

And, as we were discussing yugoslavia and Tito in class, i asked him if tito's downfall began when the jackson 5 broke up. The class of 20 year olds would not have gotten it.

USN_Hokie wrote:Democrats hardest hit.

Love it. Just sent this to my friend who evacuated Vietnam when the communists took over (big Trump supporter too)
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:In my history class at tech today...history of the balkans, the professor was talking about the huge number of people killed in the name of god or religion. He mentioned the crusades, jihad and other things done allegedly in the name of a monotheist deity. How for example, the bible says that god told ...someone, to kill the inhabitants of ...someplace, since they were not believers. (You can see how i was not a very good student.) He is an excellent teacher imo, but yeah, he is one of those. Not radically or arrogantly, but it comes out.

I reminded him after class that mao tse tung, pol pot, hitler and stalin were atheists and committed more than their share of barbaric acts during their time on earth, arguable more deaths throughout history were done at the command of atheists than by people of faith. He acknowledged that was true and said that communism is a kind of religion as well.

And, as we were discussing yugoslavia and Tito in class, i asked him if tito's downfall began when the jackson 5 broke up. The class of 20 year olds would not have gotten it.

I’m jealous of you. I think auditing classes is a great idea.

Any talent amongst the student body?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

A man after my own heart.

I do enjoy the walks around campus in the short pants days of summer. What a great, campus.

But regrettably, the class is all male.

ip_law-hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:In my history class at tech today...history of the balkans, the professor was talking about the huge number of people killed in the name of god or religion. He mentioned the crusades, jihad and other things done allegedly in the name of a monotheist deity. How for example, the bible says that god told ...someone, to kill the inhabitants of ...someplace, since they were not believers. (You can see how i was not a very good student.) He is an excellent teacher imo, but yeah, he is one of those. Not radically or arrogantly, but it comes out.

I’m jealous of you. I think auditing classes is a great idea.

Any talent amongst the student body?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

He's really talking about ideology, but using it as an excuse to bash religion.

But yeah, Communism has killed far more than even islam most likely - all while having no redeeming value whereas Christianity has done a lot of real good.