Worked at the polls today handing out sample ballots.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
oaktonhokie

Worked at the polls today handing out sample ballots.

Post by oaktonhokie »

A retired professor was there as well. A democrat but a decent and reasonably sane fellow, we were discussing some of the dumb stuff trump does. I told him i liked trump more all the time, while acknowledging that he does and says and tweets some really stupid things.

He has spent time in china and knows the culture and that saving face is very important to the asians. He then referenced the fish feeding frenzy as trump poured too much food into the koy pond. This he said was an example of how ill mannered and ignorant he is. (My words.)

I told him he only saw the part of the video that the media wanted him to see. He was not aware that the japaneese leader had done the exact same thing trump did five seconds earlier.

He was embarrassed, unlike the libs here who generally double down on ignorance and rationalize or excuse their uninformed comments.

My point is that this is an educated man. Traveled the world, well spoken and intelligent. He believed what the media told him about trump not properly acting in the far east.

There must be countless millions of less intelligent, less well informed and less well spoken people who are also duped by the media.

There was also a very unattractive democrat (duh) candidate for something there, introducing herself to voters. I asked her what she would do differently than what is being done now. A pat answer about education, the environment and something else. Someone nearby asked her how to pay for that and she was not sure which taxes to raise.

I was shocked but decided she could beat the heck out of me so i did not suggest that she was just another tax and spend lib.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
HvilleHokie

Re: Worked at the polls today handing out sample ballots.

Post by HvilleHokie »

You handed out ballots marked for candidates you, yourself, didn’t actually vote for?
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:You handed out ballots marked for candidates you, yourself, didn’t actually vote for?
he was handing out sample ballots, not specifically marked but did get a chance to have conversations with various people there. His points were all very relevant.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Hillsville has a point, actually. The sample ballot i handed out was a republican sample and showed votes for the R.

The person i referenced in the original post was doing the same thing with a sample democrat ballot.

My wife is a republican apparatchik and y'day was a raw and dreary day. She had been handing out samples for a few hours while i was in school. (238 mcbryde hall.) She needed a break so i stood in for her of an hour or so.

Most people didn't want the samples. The saw us (me and the D) standing there and most put there heads down or just looked straight ahead. They did not want to engage.
I joked with the D that i wonder if we would get more takers if we attached a $20 bill to the sample.

A waste of time in my opinion.

I did vote for the R for lt gov, for AG and in my district. So I did support republican candidates. Just not all the republican candidates.

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:You handed out ballots marked for candidates you, yourself, didn’t actually vote for?
he was handing out sample ballots, not specifically marked but did get a chance to have conversations with various people there. His points were all very relevant.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:Hillsville has a point, actually. The sample ballot i handed out was a republican sample and showed votes for the R.

The person i referenced in the original post was doing the same thing with a sample democrat ballot.

My wife is a republican apparatchik and y'day was a raw and dreary day. She had been handing out samples for a few hours while i was in school. (238 mcbryde hall.) She needed a break so i stood in for her of an hour or so.

Most people didn't want the samples. The saw us (me and the D) standing there and most put there heads down or just looked straight ahead. They did not want to engage.
I joked with the D that i wonder if we would get more takers if we attached a $20 bill to the sample.

A waste of time in my opinion.

I did vote for the R for lt gov, for AG and in my district. So I did support republican candidates. Just not all the republican candidates.

cwtcr hokie wrote:
I ignore those folks also, I know what is on the ballot before I go to vote