Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: So ... how high do taxes go?

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:If they're smart they'll fix the gasoline tax problem first. It needs to be doubled and indexed for inflation (gas tax should be about 10% of the average price per gallon of gasoline rather than the flat 13¢ per gallon, or whatever it is, the Commonwealth currently collects).

If they want to raise the income tax, the creation of new brackets makes the most sense. Maybe create a 0% bracket at the bottom and create a 7% bracket for VATI greater than $50,000.
I think NC is taxed pretty highly, but their infrastructure is in far better shape than Virginia's. After living in Florida, I also like the "use tax" tolls that they put on many of their state roads. It works and the toll roads are well maintained. I'm all for more of those but not ones that flex with demand like the beltway.
Have you ever been to NC?
I think NC's infrastructure - at least until you get to the mountains - is better than Virginia's ... but it has more to do with terrain and less to do with funding. Virginia has about a billion waterways in populated areas that we have to build bridges over, but the coast of North Carolina is completely rural. And we have more interstate and highway going through Appalachia than they do - so that's a lot more mountain blasting in Virginia.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:If they're smart they'll fix the gasoline tax problem first. It needs to be doubled and indexed for inflation (gas tax should be about 10% of the average price per gallon of gasoline rather than the flat 13¢ per gallon, or whatever it is, the Commonwealth currently collects).

If they want to raise the income tax, the creation of new brackets makes the most sense. Maybe create a 0% bracket at the bottom and create a 7% bracket for VATI greater than $50,000.
I think NC is taxed pretty highly, but their infrastructure is in far better shape than Virginia's. After living in Florida, I also like the "use tax" tolls that they put on many of their state roads. It works and the toll roads are well maintained. I'm all for more of those but not ones that flex with demand like the beltway.
not sure what you have seen of the infrastructure but it is a mess. Lots of bridges have major issues, only way to make a highway better is to make it a flex toll road and that is the only way any new highways or lanes are being built now. Yes it is a higher taxed state, income is max of 7.75% and some of the highest fuel taxes in the country. Taxes do not do anything to improve anything, that is obvious every day of our lives.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

ElbertoHokie wrote:

Virginia's infrastructure is in horrible shape. Every time I drive to my dad's in Myrtle Beach, I can't help but notice how much better the highways are in North Carolina. And NC is also making a LOT of headway in repairing and replacing aging bridges and overpasses. I'm not sure Virginia's done a goddamned thing on that front and it appears they aren't willing to start until we have a Minneapolis style collapse in Richmond. So we have to pay another 10¢ to 15¢ per gallon. If they phase it in right, we won't even notice it, but it has to be done.

As for the income tax, those brackets haven't changed as long as I can remember. When the top bracket was set at $17,000, that was a lot of money. Now you can make that flippin' burgers. The Federal brackets adjust for inflation every year. Virginia's hasn't changed it in something like 50 years. It's rigoddamdiculous and everybody knows it. The 5.75% top rate is pretty favorable, but not outrageously low. But it's applied across the board on too many Virginians. The brackets are currently:

$0 - $2,999............. 2%
$3,000 - $4,999....... 3%
$5,000 - $16,999..... 5%
$17,000 and over..... 5.75%

That's practically a flat tax rate. It SHOULD look more like:

$0 - $2,999............ 0%
$3,000 - $9,999...... 2%
$10,000 - $44,999... 3%
$45,000 - $99,999... 5%
$100,000 and over..... 7%

And those brackets should adjust for inflation every year, just as the federal tables do.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

I think NC's infrastructure - at least until you get to the mountains - is better than Virginia's ... but it has more to do with terrain and less to do with funding. Virginia has about a billion waterways in populated areas that we have to build bridges over, but the coast of North Carolina is completely rural. And we have more interstate and highway going through Appalachia than they do - so that's a lot more mountain blasting in Virginia.
NC roads are in a constant state of disrepair and large sections closed for construction that never seems to end. I've been through 95 and 85 recently, they're both a disaster. 64 construction is going a lot better as it'll be completed sooner. I've never driven down 95 without there being some large section of jersey walls and a single lane with a phantom crew working. Even the major local bypasses are better in VA. City streets are typically better in NC, but that's the local government.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

FireFuente wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:Now that democrats have a lock on both houses, how high do they raise Virginia's taxes? 5.75% is currently the top rate. I'm thinking it goes up to at least 10.
You guys have a conservative Democrat as a governor. You will be fine.
A conservative Democrat is one that only votes with the party 95% of the time. Its a huge difference.
I agree.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

awesome guy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

NC roads are in a constant state of disrepair and large sections closed for construction that never seems to end. I've been through 95 and 85 recently, they're both a disaster. 64 construction is going a lot better as it'll be completed sooner. I've never driven down 95 without there being some large section of jersey walls and a single lane with a phantom crew working. Even the major local bypasses are better in VA. City streets are typically better in NC, but that's the local government.
NC roads are under construction because they're fixing stuff that Virginia is ignoring.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:

I'm all for more of those but not ones that flex with demand like the beltway.
I find this to be curious. Like you, I support user taxes. It follows natural supply and demand dynamics, in which those who actually have a demand pay for the supply. But if we are embrace market-based taxes, why not fully embrace it? Its worth more to drive in the HOV lane at 5:30pm than it is at 5:30AM.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie CPA wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

NC roads are under construction because they're fixing stuff that Virginia is ignoring.
Why would VA fix NC problems?

We do it better as our road crews work at night, minimizing impact. I see this more as a night owl/returning from fishing at 3am. Tons of VA construction that disappears at dawn. NC on the other hand puts large sections into a single lane, regardless if work is happening at the time or not. That's unacceptable in my opinion.
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Lived there.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Lived there.
Another 3 month stint before moving on or lived there for significant time?
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Hokie CPA wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Virginia's infrastructure is in horrible shape. Every time I drive to my dad's in Myrtle Beach, I can't help but notice how much better the highways are in North Carolina. And NC is also making a LOT of headway in repairing and replacing aging bridges and overpasses. I'm not sure Virginia's done a goddamned thing on that front and it appears they aren't willing to start until we have a Minneapolis style collapse in Richmond. So we have to pay another 10¢ to 15¢ per gallon. If they phase it in right, we won't even notice it, but it has to be done.

As for the income tax, those brackets haven't changed as long as I can remember. When the top bracket was set at $17,000, that was a lot of money. Now you can make that flippin' burgers. The Federal brackets adjust for inflation every year. Virginia's hasn't changed it in something like 50 years. It's rigoddamdiculous and everybody knows it. The 5.75% top rate is pretty favorable, but not outrageously low. But it's applied across the board on too many Virginians. The brackets are currently:

$5,000 - $16,999..... 5%

$3,000 - $9,999...... 2%
$10,000 - $44,999... 3%
$45,000 - $99,999... 5%

And those brackets should adjust for inflation every year, just as the federal tables do.

Nope. We need to soak high income earners in NOVA. Give them what voted for!
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Lived there.
I'll ignore the snide comment. Lived in Charlotte for 2 years.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Lived there.
charlotte roads are a disaster, been here 27 years and it is a mess and will always be a disaster
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote: I think NC is taxed pretty highly, but their infrastructure is in far better shape than Virginia's. After living in Florida, I also like the "use tax" tolls that they put on many of their state roads. It works and the toll roads are well maintained. I'm all for more of those but not ones that flex with demand like the beltway.
Lived there.
charlotte roads are a disaster, been here 27 years and it is a mess and will always be a disaster
Yep. People have to come in at 6 to avoid hour long commutes.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

Hokie CPA wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

$5,000 - $16,999..... 5%

$3,000 - $9,999...... 2%
$10,000 - $44,999... 3%
$45,000 - $99,999... 5%

Screw that...cut spending...
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

$5,000 - $16,999..... 5%

$3,000 - $9,999...... 2%
$10,000 - $44,999... 3%
$45,000 - $99,999... 5%

Screw that...cut spending...
Using the brackets above, taxpayers with $45,000 of VATI pay $2,330 under the current system, but would pay only $1,190 under my proposal above. It's a tax cut for a lot of folks and soaks the NoVA folks (and anyone else with six figure income).

Even for folks with $100,000 of VATI pay $5,490 under the current system and only $3,940 under my proposal. It's about putting a lower rate on a higher income base and slapping a higher rate on higher income.

In fact, it's a tax cut for everyone with VATI less than $224,200, if you set the two equations equal and solve for x.

BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Hokie CPA wrote:Even for folks with $100,000 of VATI pay $5,490 under the current system and only $3,940 under my proposal. It's about putting a lower rate on a higher income base and slapping a higher rate on higher income.

In fact, it's a tax cut for everyone with VATI less than $224,200, if you set the two equations equal and solve for x.
Because evil rich people just don't pay enough in taxes!

My wife and I are on track to pay 35% of our income in state and federal taxes this year. How much is enough to make you happy?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

I find this to be curious. Like you, I support user taxes. It follows natural supply and demand dynamics, in which those who actually have a demand pay for the supply. But if we are embrace market-based taxes, why not fully embrace it? Its worth more to drive in the HOV lane at 5:30pm than it is at 5:30AM.
The HOV lanes from Aquia to Springfield in Virginia work exactly like that.. more expensive in peak times. Of course they are free with 3 people in the car.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

The HOV lanes from Aquia to Springfield in Virginia work exactly like that.. more expensive in peak times. Of course they are free with 3 people in the car.
I know. That’s the way it should be.

How do they tell if there are more than three people in the car? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

BigDave wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:Even for folks with $100,000 of VATI pay $5,490 under the current system and only $3,940 under my proposal. It's about putting a lower rate on a higher income base and slapping a higher rate on higher income.

My wife and I are on track to pay 35% of our income in state and federal taxes this year. How much is enough to make you happy?
I'd cut the shiRt out of the federal tax. I want government to be local, and at the state level, we've got serious infrastructure problems and we need to repair and upgrade a whole lot of roads in the Commonwealth. The gasoline tax needs to go up.

As for the income tax, I don't have a problem with the top rate being 5.75%. I'm on your side on this one. I went to 7% to answer the question which was asked regarding what Democrat legislature would do. The problem is the lack of change to the brackets. Keep the top rate at 5.75% but widen the brackets.... it's a tax cut. Even if you create a 7% rate for top earners, it's still a tax cut for almost everyone. My point is that it's ridiculous that you get to the top rate at $17,000 of taxable income. That's what needs to change.
Last edited by Hokie CPA on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

I know. That’s the way it should be.

How do they tell if there are more than three people in the car? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're for extortion via not improving regular flow, just making it a $10 commute so that the rich have 3 lanes to themselves? Typical liberal plan of exclusion and segregation.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BigDave wrote:

you are way low Dave, add in all the taxes you pay and you like me are paying about 50% of our gross income to some form of taxes..... its effing nuts, but not enough

This ponzi scheme will explode one day, buy more bullets
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

you are way low Dave, add in all the taxes you pay and you like me are paying about 50% of our gross income to some form of taxes..... its effing nuts, but not enough

This ponzi scheme will explode one day, buy more bullets
Except if its Republicans increasing the debt.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
BigDave wrote:

I'd cut the shiRt out of the federal tax. I want government to be local, and at the state level, we've got serious infrastructure problems and we need to repair and upgrade a whole lot of roads in the Commonwealth. The gasoline tax needs to go up.

As for the income tax, I don't have a problem with the top rate being 5.75%. I'm on your side on this one. I went to 7% to answer the question which was asked regarding what Democrat legislature would do. The problem is the lack of change to the brackets. Keep the top rate at 5.75% but widen the brackets.... it's a tax cut. Even if you create a 7% rate for top earners, it's still a tax cut for almost everyone. My point is that it's ridiculous that you get to the top rate at $17,000 of taxable income. That's what needs to change.
so the electrics and hybrids get to ride for free.....free is great!!!
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
BigDave wrote:

so the electrics and hybrids get to ride for free.....free is great!!!
Nah.... tack a road maintenance surcharge onto their property tax bill, applicable only to electric and hybrid vehicles. Of course, that doesn't help with out of state residents, but there's nothing to fix that short of putting tolls on every road in the Commonwealth. You're just going to have a much easier time fixing the gas tax shortfall than by applying tolls. The P-town citizenry is STILL bitching non-stop about the tunnel tolls.