Getting dark at 4:00 sucks - I'm all in for this

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Getting dark at 4:00 sucks - I'm all in for this

Post by ip_law-hokie »

But I'd take it a step further - Atlantic time zone with an extra 1 hour in the summer. Let the sun rise at 9 AM - having it start getting dark at 3:30 is inhumane.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world ... 21281.html
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: Getting dark at 4:00 sucks - I'm all in for this

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:But I'd take it a step further - Atlantic time zone with an extra 1 hour in the summer. Let the sun rise at 9 AM - having it start getting dark at 3:30 is inhumane.

Why don't we just get rid of the "fall back" portion of spring forward and fall back and stay permanently in daylights savings time? In the 757, sunrise was 6:30 AM and sunset was 5:00 PM. So if we were an hour earlier, that would make sunrise 7:30 AM and sunset 6:00 PM. That's doable. And hopefully it will reduce traffic accidents in the evening rush hour.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:But I'd take it a step further - Atlantic time zone with an extra 1 hour in the summer. Let the sun rise at 9 AM - having it start getting dark at 3:30 is inhumane.

Why don't we just get rid of the "fall back" portion of spring forward and fall back and stay permanently in daylights savings time? In the 757, sunrise was 6:30 AM and sunset was 5:00 PM. So if we were an hour earlier, that would make sunrise 7:30 AM and sunset 6:00 PM. That's doable. And hopefully it will reduce traffic accidents in the evening rush hour.
That's exactly what they want to do.

It's even worse up here. I don't remember it getting dark in Virginia at 4:30. It's pitch black here at 4:30 in December, and it even worse as you go further north and east.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Agreed. I despise the time change.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Just another downside of living in the armpit of America, the northeast.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

People in AZ laugh over time change. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

Major Kong wrote:People in AZ laugh over time change. :D
Not in the Navajo Nation they don't.

Apparently they tried year-round DST back in the 70s but abandoned it because kids were out waiting for the schoolbus in the dark.

I'd be all in for it. I'm the western part of my time zone, so I have it better than you folks - kind of a built-in year round DST advantage.
#JusticeForNolan
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

That's exactly what they want to do.

It's even worse up here. I don't remember it getting dark in Virginia at 4:30. It's pitch black here at 4:30 in December, and it even worse as you go further north and east.
Won’t happen. The kids ain’t going to the bus stop in darkness.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

PolyTech wrote:

Apparently they tried year-round DST back in the 70s but abandoned it because kids were out waiting for the schoolbus in the dark.

I'd be all in for it. I'm the western part of my time zone, so I have it better than you folks - kind of a built-in year round DST advantage.
I’m jealous of anyone who can play golf until 10pm. Columbus OH and Knoxville are two examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
PolyTech wrote:

I’m jealous of anyone who can play golf until 10pm. Columbus OH and Knoxville are two examples.

I was in Paris over the summer and it was weird having it light until 10pm. We went to dinner one night, left at 9pm, and I still had sunglasses on. It just felt weird.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
PolyTech wrote:

I was in Paris over the summer and it was weird having it light until 10pm. We went to dinner one night, left at 9pm, and I still had sunglasses on. It just felt weird.
I️ could get used to it.

Spain has a goofy time zone too. Apparently one of their Kings insisted upon being on the same time as London. I was there around Thanksgiving and it didn’t get light until after 8 AM. I’m sure they stay light in the summer until at least 10. Probably explains why they tend to eat so late.

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Alaska in the summer is awesome :!:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

If this could be changed by executive order, and Trump campaigned that he would end the fall back to standard time, I'd vote for him.
People who know, know.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Worked in Seattle for a couple years. The summers were pretty in that it wouldn't get dark until 10pm.

“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

TheH2 wrote:

If this could be changed by executive order, and Trump campaigned that he would end the fall back to standard time, I'd vote for him.
CW is probably correct, I'm afraid. Kids couldn't be expected to stand outside in the dark in anything less than full sunlight in this day and age.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

CW is probably correct, I'm afraid. Kids couldn't be expected to stand outside in the dark in anything less than full sunlight in this day and age.
I guess easy for me to say that might kid can stand out there in the dark. Maybe we should invest in spotlights (LED of course) at every bus stop.
People who know, know.