The energy put into mocking prayer is startling

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

The energy put into mocking prayer is startling

Post by RiverguyVT »

In this divided nation, if one finds himself following folks who would mock and demean one of God's mandates....maybe..just maybe one is on the wrong "side"

Now, this isn't to be confused with prayer with the purpose of elevating oneself (hey! Look at me! I'm praying!), but the general notion of prayer being offered up.

Example #77438 that people need God
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Re: The energy put into mocking prayer is startling

Post by ElbertoHokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:In this divided nation, if one finds himself following folks who would mock and demean one of God's mandates....maybe..just maybe one is on the wrong "side"

Now, this isn't to be confused with prayer with the purpose of elevating oneself (hey! Look at me! I'm praying!), but the general notion of prayer being offered up.

I don't think people are mocking prayer. I think people are mocking the fact that whenever a mass shooting occurs, the only action every undertaken by a large portion of the population is...prayer. Prayer, from my point of view, does not seem to be helping since 2 of the 5 deadliest mass shootings in American history occurred in the last 2 months. There's been a lot of prayer about mass shootings since lets just throw out 2007. It doesn't seem to be reducing their frequency.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:In this divided nation, if one finds himself following folks who would mock and demean one of God's mandates....maybe..just maybe one is on the wrong "side"

What exactly are you referring to? Is there a particular event that prompted this post?
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ElbertoHokie wrote:

I don't think people are mocking prayer. I think people are mocking the fact that whenever a mass shooting occurs, the only action every undertaken by a large portion of the population is...prayer. Prayer, from my point of view, does not seem to be helping since 2 of the 5 deadliest mass shootings in American history occurred in the last 2 months. There's been a lot of prayer about mass shootings since lets just throw out 2007. It doesn't seem to be reducing their frequency.

Yeah, I'm calling BS. A lot of these assholes are straight up mocking religion. And they're doing it with malice. But hey, neo-puritannical douches like Olbermann or Poundstone feel better now that they could set these people straight. On Twitter.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:

1. Yes, they're mocking it.

2. You don't understand prayer (your characterization might be even considered offensive to some). Prayer is meditation. It works just like counseling works. Both are far more effective responses to tragedies than your unconstitutional, inane suggestions.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

2. You don't understand prayer (your characterization might be even considered offensive to some). Prayer is meditation. It works just like counseling works. Both are far more effective responses to tragedies than your unconstitutional, inane suggestions.
Who is they? Are you guys talking about the guy in Congress who walked out of the latest prayer for the latest mass shooting with the latest assault weapon?
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Who is they? Are you guys talking about the guy in Congress who walked out of the latest prayer for the latest mass shooting with the latest assault weapon?
Define "assault weapon".
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Define "assault weapon".
Don't worry, he can't.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Define "assault weapon".
Is this some sort of triggered reaction to anyone who uses the term assault weapon to describe something that makes you feel uncomfortable. I'm sure you know there isn't one answer, and that the term has been used by lots of different people, groups, companies, to describe different things.
And I'm pretty sure you know that ip was talking about the ruger rifle that jimbo billy bob used to kill a bunch of people...didn't you?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Define "assault weapon".
Is this some sort of triggered reaction to anyone who uses the term assault weapon to describe something that makes you feel uncomfortable. I'm sure you know there isn't one answer, and that the term has been used by lots of different people, groups, companies, to describe different things.
And I'm pretty sure you know that ip was talking about the ruger rifle that jimbo billy bob used to kill a bunch of people...didn't you?
Reading is fundamental. Try again.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote: I don't think people are mocking prayer. I think people are mocking the fact that whenever a mass shooting occurs, the only action every undertaken by a large portion of the population is...prayer. Prayer, from my point of view, does not seem to be helping since 2 of the 5 deadliest mass shootings in American history occurred in the last 2 months. There's been a lot of prayer about mass shootings since lets just throw out 2007. It doesn't seem to be reducing their frequency.

Define "assault weapon".
Reading is fundamental. Try again.
Umm, what do you think I need to read again? You said "Define "assault weapon"". That's not possible, and you know it.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
I thought IP was talking about the rifle used to kill the gunman and defend the church? Or the most popular long gun in the US? Or, the favored weapon of law enforcement to save lives. Oh wait, they're all the same gun.

We all know the definition - a stupid phrase meant to illicit an emotional response. Sorry pointing that out triggers you.

The fact that you, IP, and the degenerates in the media can't define it is the point. "Assault weapon" is the boogeyman, and every gun they want to ban (hint: all of them) becomes an assault weapon.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

An assault weapon is any weapon used in an assault.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
I thought IP was talking about the rifle used to kill the gunman and defend the church? Or the most popular long gun in the US? Or, the favored weapon of law enforcement to save lives. Oh wait, they're all the same gun.

We all know the definition - a stupid phrase meant to illicit an emotional response. Sorry pointing that out triggers you.

The fact that you, IP, and the degenerates in the media can't define it is the point. "Assault weapon" is the boogeyman, and every gun they want to ban (hint: all of them) becomes an assault weapon.
LOL. You do realize that the media isn't the only group that has used the term assault weapon over the years, and it isn't just gun control nuts. Gun advocates have also used the term, and guns have been sold with the name assault weapon in their brand name.

If ppl want to have a non-generic definition, then own the discussion. Mocking people just makes everyone ignore you.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: Umm, what do you think I need to read again? You said "Define "assault weapon"". That's not possible, and you know it.
Suddenly DC from Kalifornia is a Google expert on firearms.

Actually, there is a commonly understood definition of an assault rifle (liberals broadened the term to "assault weapon" to make it more encompassing). It's an intermediate caliber, high capacity, select-fire rifle. The first (and really only) example being the STG44 Sturmgewehr (hint: that's German for assault rifle).
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

LOL. You do realize that the media isn't the only group that has used the term assault weapon over the years, and it isn't just gun control nuts. Gun advocates have also used the term, and guns have been sold with the name assault weapon in their brand name.

If ppl want to have a non-generic definition, then own the discussion. Mocking people just makes everyone ignore you.
Nope. The name appearing on a magazine cover in the 90's or some other vague shirt doesn't make you any less of a retard here. Maybe you shouldn't provide smug answers of shirt you don't know about. Sorry.

Oh, what gun had assault rifle in the name again? This should be good.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Nope. The name appearing on a magazine cover in the 90's or some other vague shirt doesn't make you any less of a retard here. Maybe you shouldn't provide smug answers of shirt you don't know about. Sorry.

You should attempt to carry yourself with more class. Make believe if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

You should attempt to carry yourself with more class. Make believe if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was this supposed to be in response to DC?

I'm waiting for DC to try and tell me that the AR in AR-15 stands for Assault Rifle.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: Umm, what do you think I need to read again? You said "Define "assault weapon"". That's not possible, and you know it.
Suddenly DC from Kalifornia is a Google expert on firearms.

Actually, there is a commonly understood definition of an assault rifle (liberals broadened the term to "assault weapon" to make it more encompassing). It's an intermediate caliber, high capacity, select-fire rifle. The first (and really only) example being the STG44 Sturmgewehr (hint: that's German for assault rifle).
I love it when you mock Google and then say something ridiculous. It's commonly understood, and there's really only one example. That's ROFLMAO funny.
And of course, I never claimed to be an expert, Cap'n fantasy land. But it doesn't take an expert to know that assault rifle is generally used to rifles used by the military. You, as an expert :roll: :roll: , probably know that.
And while the left has certainly co-opted the term assault to draw a comparison to military weaponry, the left didn't make up the term, and are far from the only group to use it. The problem you really have is that no matter what the AR15 is called, it's still being used to kill a bunch of people, by crazy people. Even crazy people recognize it's utility as a killing device. Why can't you just admit they are very efficient at killing people, and move on?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:. But it doesn't take an expert to know that assault rifle is generally used to rifles used by the military. You, as an expert :roll: :roll: , probably know that.
100% false. You should stop doing this to yourself.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

You need to go back further for the use of the term, expert. As for your second question, try again bozo.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:[. The problem you really have is that no matter what the AR15 is called, it's still being used to kill a bunch of people, by crazy people. Even crazy people recognize it's utility as a killing device. Why can't you just admit they are very efficient at killing people, and move on?
Why would you characterize our nations police as crazy? Police use them because they're efficient at saving lives - why can't you admit that?

You're so absorbed into the bullshit put out by the media that you can't see how childish your arguments are. I'm not going to fall for silly false premises.

If you want to have a real discussion on the threat of [insert boogeyman term to scare soccer moms and HokieFanDC], I would welcome that discussion starting with the FBI UCR stats for homicides committed with rifles of any type.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:. But it doesn't take an expert to know that assault rifle is generally used to rifles used by the military. You, as an expert :roll: :roll: , probably know that.
100% false. You should stop doing this to yourself.
You seem to think that your belief about something falls in the "general" category. It does not.
The US Army seems to think they have used many types of assault rifles over the years. You should probably alert them that there is really only one, and it's not one of theirs.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: I love it when you mock Google and then say something ridiculous. It's commonly understood, and there's really only one example. That's ROFLMAO funny.
How is that funny? It's commonly understood among firearms experts/historians/aficionados. I don't claim to be one but I did stay at a holiday Inn express last night. I hope the qualifier helps with your confusion.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:[. The problem you really have is that no matter what the AR15 is called, it's still being used to kill a bunch of people, by crazy people. Even crazy people recognize it's utility as a killing device. Why can't you just admit they are very efficient at killing people, and move on?
Why would you characterize our nations police as crazy? Police use them because they're efficient at saving lives - why can't you admit that?

You're so absorbed into the bullshit put out by the media that you can't see how childish your arguments are. I'm not going to fall for silly false premises.

If you want to have a real discussion on the threat of [insert boogeyman term to scare soccer moms and HokieFanDC], I would welcome that discussion starting with the FBI UCR stats for homicides committed with rifles of any type.
LOL. Cap'n bullshirt at his best. Seriously, you're not an idiot, you know I'm not talking about police. You're just purposefully being an a-hole, and you don't welcome any real discussion.
If you want a real discussion, you wouldn't start with the FBI UCR stats.
You know that most of the homicides are carried out by handguns, and that most of those crimes are carried out in criminal activities, and homicides by people that know each other.
The reason ppl are scared about rifles like AR-15s that can kill very efficiently, is because ppl who live boring, normal lives aren't usually at risk for being murdered. But, when they do get murdered, the murders are committed by lunatics, and they are increasingly using AR-15s. It doesn't take a genius to understand that.