Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Trump admin considering citizenship questions to 2020 census

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: Trump admin considering citizenship questions to 2020 ce

Post by HokieHam »

#winning!
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Trump is awesome!
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

The census is basically rigged to be a left wing tool. Very ACORNish.

So. An illegal gets a census package. Tosses it in the trash. Then what? For that matter, say a 10th generation citizen conservative WASP does the same. So what? The jackboots aren't coming for people who throw away the envelope
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

So they say that asking about citizenship will reduce participation. But in reality isn't it only going to reduce participation by non-citizens? So it should actually give us a better sense of the legal population coin and its distribution among tge congressional districts.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Exactly. You want to be a sanctuary state? No problem, but you don't get to count illegals as residents to increase your federal funding.
133743Hokie wrote:So they say that asking about citizenship will reduce participation. But in reality isn't it only going to reduce participation by non-citizens? So it should actually give us a better sense of the legal population coin and its distribution among tge congressional districts.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:So they say that asking about citizenship will reduce participation. But in reality isn't it only going to reduce participation by non-citizens? So it should actually give us a better sense of the legal population coin and its distribution among tge congressional districts.
Yep. If you're not here legally, then I don't care about counting you or recognizing you.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Yep. If you're not here legally, then I don't care about counting you or recognizing you.
Are they "free persons"?
People who know, know.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

TheH2 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Are they "free persons"?
No idea. Is there a definition of a free person?
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

HokieFanDC wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Are they "free persons"?
No idea. Is there a definition of a free person?
I don't know. That's what the constitution says and 3/5th of not free people and not Indians that don't pay taxes.
People who know, know.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Are they "free persons"?
Nope, illegal trespassers
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

So which is it?

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HooFighter wrote:So which is it?
fill me in.

Is this supposed to be some sort of "gotcha" from PBS & Buzzfeed?
Where does KOS stand on this?

Why should non-citizens be a part of a census?
Why shouldn't there be a citizenship question (other than the obvious 'overthrow/fundamentally change the US' usual reasons)
Who is John Gault?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

RiverguyVT wrote:
fill me in.

Why shouldn't there be a citizenship question (other than the obvious 'overthrow/fundamentally change the US' usual reasons)
Who is John Gault?
Thanks for the condescending response as usual. And over in that shitshow of a Captain Marvel thread you're trying to look like such a nice guy too.

And I'm done trying to convince people here about why liberals think they way they do, all that happens is I get shouted down.

This is a matter of the President openly defying a decision by the Supreme Court and calling it "fake" so that he can win over all his hordes of mouth breathers who don't understand the basic functions of government.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:
fill me in.

Who is John Gault?
Whooosh!!

This is example #Infinity of the POTUS lying. His supporters will mostly just believe him. Or when presented with evidence that his is lying (again), they will brush it off, or deflect.

As for the citizenship question, the stated purpose of the census is to count everyone in the country, not just citizens. The question of citizenship is not relevant to the purpose of the census.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
fill me in.

Who is John Gault?
Whooosh!!

This is example #Infinity of the POTUS lying. His supporters will mostly just believe him. Or when presented with evidence that his is lying (again), they will brush it off, or deflect.

As for the citizenship question, the stated purpose of the census is to count everyone in the country, not just citizens. The question of citizenship is not relevant to the purpose of the census.
Interesting.....I haven’t been paying all that much attention to this....but, didn’t the Administration say they want to delay the census to come up with a “better way to phrase the question”? Isn’t that what the SC basically said. The question that was originally proposed needs to be rephrased? Also, why isn’t the citizenship question relevant? 5hey sure as hell ask a ton of other questions that aren’t relevant,.....
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
fill me in.

Who is John Gault?
Thanks for the condescending response as usual. And over in that shitshow of a Captain Marvel thread you're trying to look like such a nice guy too.

And I'm done trying to convince people here about why liberals think they way they do, all that happens is I get shouted down.

This is a matter of the President openly defying a decision by the Supreme Court and calling it "fake" so that he can win over all his hordes of mouth breathers who don't understand the basic functions of government.
That's rich. Leftists have been undermining the constitution for a hundred years. You don't give two shirts about the constitution or the Supreme Court, just getting the result you want. That's the difference between a leftist and a liberal.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
fill me in.

Who is John Gault?
Whooosh!!

Interesting.....I haven’t been paying all that much attention to this....but, didn’t the Administration say they want to delay the census to come up with a “better way to phrase the question”? Isn’t that what the SC basically said. The question that was originally proposed needs to be rephrased? Also, why isn’t the citizenship question relevant? 5hey sure as hell ask a ton of other questions that aren’t relevant,.....
It's not relevant b/c the purpose of the census isn't to count citizens, it's to count the entire population. And one main issue with asking ppl to answer a citizenship question is that it's likely to make ppl wary of the process and not participate.

Do you think it's a relevant question? Or do you think it's a ploy by the Trump admin to undercount the population to shift resources and potentially representation away from urban areas?

Finally, what other questions do you find irrelevant?
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HooFighter wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
fill me in.

Who is John Gault?

As usual, you lie. The SC did not hear the case or decide it as there was new presentations to the court and they would not review them as the lower courts had not yet. So the SC made no decision other than not hearing the case. As for the question, what exactly is wrong with asking a question on a census, there are many on there that should not be in fact.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieFanDC wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
fill me in.

Who is John Gault?
Whooosh!!

It's not relevant b/c the purpose of the census isn't to count citizens, it's to count the entire population. And one main issue with asking ppl to answer a citizenship question is that it's likely to make ppl wary of the process and not participate.

Do you think it's a relevant question? Or do you think it's a ploy by the Trump admin to undercount the population to shift resources and potentially representation away from urban areas?

Yes. It’s a relevant question. If the census can ask about indoor pluming and kitchen facilities.....they sure as hell can ask about your citizenship status.......

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HooFighter wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
fill me in.

Who is John Gault?

That is totally lost on you....... :lol:

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
fill me in.

Who is John Gault?
Whooosh!!

Thanks for the MSNBC take. They can ask whatever they want, and the SCOTUS ruling doesn't preclude it being asked, per se. Also, the citizenship question is irrelevant to congressional seats. Liberals' panties are in a wad because they say it will suppress people participating out of fear of being deported, but they're really just worried that people will see the scope of illegal immigration here.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
fill me in.

Who is John Gault?

Trump isn't defying the SCOTUS. Their ruling was narrow and essentially said provide a basic rationale for adding the question and we'll rethink our decision. Yesterday it sounded like the USG determined they didn't have enough time to reissue their position so they were going ahead to the printers without the question. The above tweet makes it sound like Trump is saying "wait a minute, we're not giving up yet". His "fake" comment is in reference to Ross saying they are going ahead without the question.

Related to this...why does this form have to go to the printers today? They need what, about 100 million copies or or so. I expect a big printer could handle that in a few months time, so why the rush? It doesn't go out until April i believe.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
fill me in.

Who is John Gault?
Whooosh!!

Yes. It’s a relevant question. If the census can ask about indoor pluming and kitchen facilities.....they sure as hell can ask about your citizenship status.......
Questions about plumbing and kitchens are asked to gauge the quality and living conditions of the country's population. Having indoor plumbing and the ability to prepare food is a pretty standard basic living condition. And there are federal and local grants/funds that are disbursed based on housing quality and substandard conditions. That is why the questions are relevant.

Why is a citizenship question relevant?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
HooFighter wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
fill me in.

Who is John Gault?

Trump isn't defying the SCOTUS. Their ruling was narrow and essentially said provide a basic rationale for adding the question and we'll rethink our decision. Yesterday it sounded like the USG determined they didn't have enough time to reissue their position so they were going ahead to the printers without the question. The above tweet makes it sound like Trump is saying "wait a minute, we're not giving up yet". His "fake" comment is in reference to Ross saying they are going ahead without the question.

Related to this...why does this form have to go to the printers today? They need what, about 100 million copies or or so. I expect a big printer could handle that in a few months time, so why the rush? It doesn't go out until April i believe.
Yes, this.