Price protests turn political in Iran as rallies spread

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: Price protests turn political in Iran as rallies spread

Post by HokieHam »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Mcl3 Hokie wrote:The only thing the other countries wanted was access to Iran’s markets. They don’t give a flip about them being nuclear capable. You know why? Because they won’t have to deal with a nuclear Iran. Who do you think will have to handle them? France? Nope, it will have to the USA and Israel.
Bingo
Exactly. To say the “rest of the world” approved of this is not a good reason to say the deal was good.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
The inspectors can request access to any site if there is reason to do so. Iran has 24 days to conform. Apparently message board posters or Haley can not request the Iranian government give the inspectors access
The inspectors who request access!? LOL! The same ones Iran denied access to every time they've asked for access in the past? Good grief, H2. You can't be this brainwashed.

So. Say they ask and are denied. Then what?
Oh snap. Nothing! That's right! No penalties. Just rely on the mullahs goodwill. That's brilliant.
If they are denied then back to the sanctions, the same thing that was happening before. And hell, we gained 2 years of a nuclear free Iran. Netanyahu should be happy for the 2 extra years.
So we claw back and reimpose the sanctions? Really? So now all of the businesses from the US and other ally countries that have set up shop the past 2 years are going to walk away? C'mon. Everyone on both sides knew that once into the agreement there was no going back. It's impossible to turn this back so Iran gets a slap on the wrist and keeps on. This is one of the reasons people didn't like the agreement -- it had no reasonable and actionable recourse provisions, just platitudes.
Actually, a lot hasn't set up shop because there are still plenty of sanctions on Iran, because they are Iran. It has also limited investment for the same exact reason. High discount rate means high ROI needed.
What? Dozens of major businesses have set up shop there. Boeing and Airbus were selling them hundreds of planes. As soon as the sanctions were lifted the cash flowed in, capitalism at its finest. It can't be unwound. And that was one of the major complaints about the deal when it came out. No reasonable person really expected that sanction relief could be put back in the box.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
The inspectors can request access to any site if there is reason to do so. Iran has 24 days to conform. Apparently message board posters or Haley can not request the Iranian government give the inspectors access
The inspectors who request access!? LOL! The same ones Iran denied access to every time they've asked for access in the past? Good grief, H2. You can't be this brainwashed.

Oh snap. Nothing! That's right! No penalties. Just rely on the mullahs goodwill. That's brilliant.
If they are denied then back to the sanctions, the same thing that was happening before. And hell, we gained 2 years of a nuclear free Iran. Netanyahu should be happy for the 2 extra years.
So we claw back and reimpose the sanctions? Really? So now all of the businesses from the US and other ally countries that have set up shop the past 2 years are going to walk away? C'mon. Everyone on both sides knew that once into the agreement there was no going back. It's impossible to turn this back so Iran gets a slap on the wrist and keeps on. This is one of the reasons people didn't like the agreement -- it had no reasonable and actionable recourse provisions, just platitudes.
Actually, a lot hasn't set up shop because there are still plenty of sanctions on Iran, because they are Iran. It has also limited investment for the same exact reason. High discount rate means high ROI needed.
What? Dozens of major businesses have set up shop there. Boeing and Airbus were selling them hundreds of planes. As soon as the sanctions were lifted the cash flowed in, capitalism at its finest. It can't be unwound. And that was one of the major complaints about the deal when it came out. No reasonable person really expected that sanction relief could be put back in the box.
Great example that does nothing to prove your point. Boeing and Airbus lose what investment if the sanctions are reinstated. They sold planes, didn't open up factories.
People who know, know.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote: The inspectors who request access!? LOL! The same ones Iran denied access to every time they've asked for access in the past? Good grief, H2. You can't be this brainwashed.

Great example that does nothing to prove your point. Boeing and Airbus lose what investment if the sanctions are reinstated. They sold planes, didn't open up factories.
This has to be an act
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote: The inspectors who request access!? LOL! The same ones Iran denied access to every time they've asked for access in the past? Good grief, H2. You can't be this brainwashed.

Great example that does nothing to prove your point. Boeing and Airbus lose what investment if the sanctions are reinstated. They sold planes, didn't open up factories.[/quote]
I'll play your little game of dodge the issue. Boeing and Airbus will ramp up production capability (equipment, material, personnel) to fill the orders. Are you going to cancel the orders? How? And if so, are you going to expect them to eat all of their upfront and ongoing costs for the contracts?
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

133743Hokie wrote: I'll play your little game of dodge the issue. Boeing and Airbus will ramp up production capability (equipment, material, personnel) to fill the orders. Are you going to cancel the orders? How? And if so, are you going to expect them to eat all of their upfront and ongoing costs for the contracts?
Yes, but it's still inventory. They aren't making all the planes at once and it's not like there aren't other orders to fill. Boeing or Airbus just lost a multi-billion dollar buy. It happens (although I think that one was because their plane sucks but I didn't read too much into it - google feed).

I'm not saying it is nothing (e.g. discount rate and ROI), but they aren't putting themselves at on a limb and building something that goes to 0 if nuclear sanctions are placed. Again, there are still plenty of sanctions in place from them being Iran, a lot on financial transactions.

I also didn't say no investments were being made. The fact that there are still financial sanctions in place makes it difficult. As time goes by presumably this will ease. But the example you gave is big upside and manageable downside.
People who know, know.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: I'll play your little game of dodge the issue. Boeing and Airbus will ramp up production capability (equipment, material, personnel) to fill the orders. Are you going to cancel the orders? How? And if so, are you going to expect them to eat all of their upfront and ongoing costs for the contracts?
Yes, but it's still inventory. They aren't making all the planes at once and it's not like there aren't other orders to fill. Boeing or Airbus just lost a multi-billion dollar buy. It happens (although I think that one was because their plane sucks but I didn't read too much into it - google feed).

I'm not saying it is nothing (e.g. discount rate and ROI), but they aren't putting themselves at on a limb and building something that goes to 0 if nuclear sanctions are placed. Again, there are still plenty of sanctions in place from them being Iran, a lot on financial transactions.

I also didn't say no investments were being made. The fact that there are still financial sanctions in place makes it difficult. As time goes by presumably this will ease. But the example you gave is big upside and manageable downside.
That's a significant cost, and a significant timing issue. They can't just slide those orders over to accommodate some other business entity. Airplane manufacturing doesn't work that way. They're stuck with a big expense on their hands for months if not longer. That's a big nut to eat.

And as to the sanctions -- they're gone. The agreement lifted of all the UN Security Council sanctions as well as all economic and financial embargoes by the US and the EU that were imposed on Iran's banks, insurance, investment, and all other related services in different fields, including petrochemical, oil, gas and automobile industries. Only sanctions on missile and weapons technology and for their support of terrorism remain in place.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

That's a significant cost, and a significant timing issue. They can't just slide those orders over to accommodate some other business entity. Airplane manufacturing doesn't work that way. They're stuck with a big expense on their hands for months if not longer. That's a big nut to eat.

And as to the sanctions -- they're gone. The agreement lifted of all the UN Security Council sanctions as well as all economic and financial embargoes by the US and the EU that were imposed on Iran's banks, insurance, investment, and all other related services in different fields, including petrochemical, oil, gas and automobile industries. Only sanctions on missile and weapons technology and for their support of terrorism remain in place.
Nuclear related sanctions
https://www.treasury.gov/resource-cente ... /iran.aspx

There are remaining sanctions for missiles programs and sponsoring of terrorism. New sanctions were even added in 2017.
People who know, know.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Inenforceable/unenforced
Tuhmaytoe
TahMahtoe
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Nuclear related sanctions
https://www.treasury.gov/resource-cente ... /iran.aspx

There are remaining sanctions for missiles programs and sponsoring of terrorism. New sanctions were even added in 2017.
That's exactly what I said, if you read my post. But banking and financial and, most importantly, oil are gone. You said there were still a lot of sanctions on finance that were hindering them. That's not true. They even got $100 billion cash out of the deal.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Mcl3 Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Who would know? Dems gave them the means...
So they didn't have the means before the deal, but now they do?
Well, part of the agreement relied on Iran self-reporting. So, since they haven't self-reported they have a nuke, the rest of the world doesn't know where they stand on this issue.
We have access to the nuclear program, we can request access to anything, have the right to search within 14 days (I think 14?). Enriched uranium was shipped out of the country. This agreement was signed by a lot of countries not just the U.S.

The people that the Persians are protesting against are the same ways that did not want the nuclear deal.
No, we cannot inspect anything we want to. There are limitations, including some military bases where inspectors are not allowed and thus where"self reporting" will have to do. Three guesses where Irans weapon programs are located.
The inspectors can request access to any site if there is reason to do so. Iran has 24 days to conform. Apparently message board posters or Haley can not request the Iranian government give the inspectors access.
Oops.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Nice theory
People who know, know.